News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Army Victory Medals

• 5 months later...
    • Replies 68
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

I started collecting Indian single WW1 medals to the different ranks and professions due to reading this topic some years ago. I have up to now collected quite a few and usually I have no difficulty in  identifying the occupation or rank. However there are three  medals which I am having trouble with. I hope someone can help.

They are :  P Jemadar   

RP Clerk

Mate SK

Cheers

KOYLI, welcome to the GMIC.  And with a topic dear to my heart too!  Sadly, at the moment, I have no idea what any of the three ranks/rates mean but will do a little digging.

Could you perhaps let us know which units these men belonged to,as it may have some bearing.  There are some very odd ranks among the various 'followers' of the old IA and some of the 'Bombay Presidency' units seem to have used unusual terms, I'm assuming based on the old, pre-amalgamation, ranks and trades.

Any chance that 'Mate SK' is a naval rank?  

I started collecting Indian single WW1 medals to the different ranks and professions due to reading this topic some years ago. I have up to now collected quite a few and usually I have no difficulty in  identifying the occupation or rank. However there are three  medals which I am having trouble with. I hope someone can help.

They are :  P Jemadar   

RP Clerk

Mate SK

Cheers

Hi Peter and Paul,

I thank you for your replies and then especially  Paul for his suggestions. I have no doubt you are correct Paul. However the MATE SK was with the Mesopotamian Railways. The P Jemadar also was with the Mespot Rlys and the RP Clerk with the Supply and Transport Corps. I am glad I finally have some answers. If you should be up for a another challenge I have three  abbr. for units that have me stumped. They are :

P. P.

50 S C CPs

TC TFC

Best Regards

Oh, well done, Paul!  "Probationary Jemadar' would never have occurred to me.

'TC' is just possibly an abbreviation for 'Training Centre', but that doesn't explain the 'TFC' after it. :(

Edited by peter monahan

KOYLI could you give me thd units of the queeies it  is very relevant . With the P Jemedar as he is Meso Rly it could conceivably be Points Jemedar. The others I am sure I am right. Mate is normally marine but can also be Railways and Military   establishments such as arsenals and fortresses.

Paul

50 SC Cps is 50th Sillidar Camel Corps. Sillidars provided their own camels

Dont know why that jumped to tbe bottom

P.P. Pasupati Prasad Regiment, Nepalese Army. Served in India during the Great War enabling Indian forces to be freed for overseas service.

TC TFC Transport? Control  Traffic

Tfc is definitely traffic.

Paul

Hi again,

Thank you Paul for the info on the units.You must have the ultimate Indian Military abbreviations book in your possesion , It's great being able to rely on your knowledge, so thanks again.  However the info I gave is all I have as to units. There is no further info available.

Lawry

No book on abbreviations. I have collected medals to Indians during British rule for 15 years. I have,around 1000 medals. One of my main interests is unusual units trades and ranks.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I was kidding about the book of course. But take my hat of to you for the knowledge that you have acquired during your years of collecting. I myself have only asmall  collecton of single medals to Indian Army different trades and ranks (for the moment 81). I also collect Indian Army badges to units that fought in Europe.

Having said that, I started looking up the Pashupati Prasad Regiment finding very little information. Would there be any regimental history to be found anywhere ?

My understanding is it was a Nepalese unit. Nepal was and is a sovereign state. Being an ally to Britain it sent regular troops to India to take over security and guard duties. This is something quite different from Nepalese citizens joining Gurkha units in the Indian Army. I am supposing that my fellow ( civilian follower ) had only entitlement to the British War Medal. This however, to my mind, doesn’t tally with the definition for receiving this medal as stated on the National Archives website. Yes they served in a war zone (North West Frontier) but they were not part of British or Imperial troops. Am I right or am I missing something?

Lawry

Two Nepalese regiments received tbe Victory medal for services in Waziristan. All the other regiments received just the BWM. Nepalese units also served in the 3rd Afghan war. I have a sizeable section of Nepalese contingent medals.

Paul

On 09/05/2019 at 10:48, paul wood said:

Two Nepalese regiments received tbe Victory medal for services in Waziristan. All the other regiments received just the BWM. Nepalese units also served in the 3rd Afghan war. I have a sizeable section of Nepalese contingent medals.

Paul

Hello Paul,

I have a vic to a RFM Dhaman Singh Khatri M.D.

The information that was provided to me was that this RFM was a member of a Royal Nepalese Army Contingent of Mahindra Dal, with the M.D. reportedly standing for Battalion in Nepalese.

Would you have any further information on these units?

Regards,
    Rob

Edited by RobW

On 14/05/2019 at 09:10, paul wood said:

Rob,

Mahindra Dal Paltan (paltan =regiment). One of the two regiments who saw Waziri service. Nice do you have the accompanying BWM

Paul

Hi Paul,

Unfortunately not.  I almost stumbled across the vic when looking for a particular indian vic group to a member of 52nd Sikhs/Frontier Force Regiment.

Good to know that the recipient served in Waziristan.

Regards,
    Rob