News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cent Gardes of LOH

Graf

Hi

I would like to share with the Forum my Cent Gardes of LOH

It took me a while to research what exactly are the features of this Variation of LOH, before i decided to buy this one.

I have seen different "types" of Cent Gardes over the years.

However, some of them looked more likely as Luxury Versions of LOH but not Cent Gardes

What I believe as true features of Cent Gardes are:

- Typical higly detailed crown with a closed bottom part

- The hinge connecting the Cross with the crown is concealed

- The Cross arms are typical with edges

- Front and reverse central medallions are three parts constuction in highly polished Gold

If anyone has much beter knowledge on the topic, please share with us any information

Regards

Graf

Thank you Graf for sharing this beautiful Légion d'honneur.

I am afraid the denomination "Cent-Gardes" is only a nickname for luxury variations and has no reality.

Up to now, nobody has been able to show a document proving that the "Cent-Gardes", that is the body guards Squadron of Napoléon III, were awarded with a special model of the Légion d'honneur.

However, we find many of these luxury models during the reign of Napoléon III. This reflects the starting point of a new fashion which has lasted up too now consisting for some jewellers to provide high luxury models instead of a basic one.

In my opinion, this term "Légion d'honneur des Cent-Gardes" was invented for sale purposes and became a nickname for this kind of highly desirable crosses.

Therefore there are no "true features" for this kind of luxury variations, but only more ore less sophisticated products with no real links with the famous "Escadron des Cent-Gardes". For sure yours is one of the most beautiful!

Anyway, these kinds of models are fantastic and remain a must for a Légion d'honneur collector.

Did you find any maker's marks on it?

Regards

Bison

Hi Bison,

Thank you for the information and the very nice comments.

You are quite right that nickname might have been created because the Cent Gardes or the Napoleon III body Guards had a very special status.

Therefore, anything that looks special or Very Luxury could have been very easily contributed to the Cent Gardes -in this case this Luxury variation of LOH. It is interesting that this nickname of LOH was picked-up by both dealers and collectors and is widely used.

I looked for a maker"s mark, however I have not found one. ..only the Silver mark (boar head)

Do you think that these type of LOH could have been made privately by a very good jewellers, like few Luxury LOH in Gold or Silver with Diamonds, during the III and IV Republics. Most of them do not have any maker's marks.

It is believed that they were ordered by the Recipients to show that they had a higher economic status in the Society

Regards

Graf

VERY interesting thread!!!!! Bravo. Of course, if one could find documentation...I wonder how many of the Guards actually owned private purchase LoHs in this style? Maybe it was de facto ownership- not de jure.

Yes it is intersting topic.

Only if we can find any documentation regarding this Version of the LOH.

They perhaps were in position to order such LOH because their salary was 1,000 gold francs a year for guards and trompeters, an amount which was particularly high at the time, and after 7 years of service, their pay was increased 80 additional cents per day

Graf

Knowledge is also to be shared...

Back to this beautiful so-called "Cent Gardes" piece, I assume it was made by Victor Lemoine, later Ouizille & Lemoine jeweller.

His shop was 1, rue du Bac in Paris, that is less than 850 meters from the barracks of the Cent Gardes Squadron which was 37 rue de Bellechasse.

Nowadays, this is still the barracks of le Régiment de Cavalerie de la Garde Républicaine.

Victor Lemoine was known as the "jeweller of the Légion d'honneur" and used to be the main provider of the Emperor Napoléon III. No doubt he has provided special requirements for special people.

His mark used to be on the ring in a diamond with the letters V and L plus a crown and a star of the Légion d'honneur.

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Hi Bison,

I found this very nice piece in my files

It is a pity that i do not own this LOH

It looks it is from Presidency Period (1848-1852) and yet it has similar features as the Second Empire so-called "Cent Gardes"

Fact which supports your pont :

I am afraid the denomination "Cent-Gardes" is only a nickname for luxury variations and has no reality.

The body guards Squadron of Napoléon III, was created in 1854, therefore this LOH indicates that such Luxury Variations of LOH were made before Second Empire period and throws doubt that so called "Cent Gardes' LOH were made for the Body Guards of Napoleon III

Graf

• 1 year later...