News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coast Guard Cross

Found this on the Net and was quite surprised it had not been on the forum yet. I found it on someone's blog (ODM unrelated) with just this caption and no other information:

CG_Cross.jpg

I managed to find the legal act of 2010 that introduced it (Congress Public Laws 112-131). The excerpt regarding the cross reads as follows:

The President may award a Coast Guard cross of appropriate design, with ribbons and appurtenances, to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the Coast Guard, when the Coast Guard is not operating under the Department of the Navy, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism not justifying the award of a medal of honor—

(1) while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States;

(2) while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force or international terrorist organization; or

(3) while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

The same act allows awarding the Silver Star when CG is not operating under the Dept. of the Navy and extends the conferment of the Distinguished Flying Cross to CG (for some reason it does not include the Bronze Star and Air Medal). I was unable to determine if the act is already in force or not.

I personally can hardly see the use of a cross like this. As CG is normally not involved in combat operations and the new cross is a combat award, it will be one of the rarest U.S. awards, particularly that it can be conferred only when the Coast Guard is not operating under the Department of the Navy. Of course, as a medal researcher and collector I am happy to see any new medal established.

Now it is probably the time for the Coast Guard Medal of Honor as well! If it is ever established, remember it was me who first put forward the proposal :D :D :D

It is attractive, but I dont know if I like it. IT seems a bit flashy. I really like the look of the Navy Cross.

Everytime the Coast Guard is on the Front Lines, it is under the control of the Navy. I do not really know of a situation, outside of an invasion, where a Coast Guard member would be eligible for this medal.

Actually, Paul, in today's military, it is quite possible for an individual "Coastie" to be assigned to some kind of a joint Headquarters or composite unit, and thus not be operating under the Navy. I suspect, however, that in those situations, other awards would probably be available rather than this CG-specific one.

Interestingly, it is not limited to Coast Guard personnel, but to "a person... serving in any capacity with the Coast Guard". Thus, it could theoretically be given to a Coast Guard Auxilliary person, or to a member of another service temporarily serving with (or in support of) the CG--- or maybe even a civilian. Doc

Edited by Doc

To me it is visually OK. It has the form of a cross (quite rare in the U.S. award system) to go with equivalent crosses of the other services. The seldom encountered form of cross urdee makes it distinctive and easy to recognize at the first glance. Also the ribbon, navy blue with CG colors seems logical and well-chosen. If I was the designer, the only change I would probably change, would be not using color enamel. BTW, I wonder who designed it. I visited TIOH website, but did not find anything about the cross there.

What is questionable is the necessity of such an award and I absolutely agree with Paul in this aspect. IMHO, it was established to fill the gap, as CG was the only service that did not have a combat decoration of this rank. Doc is right to say it can potentially be awarded to civilians as well, yet I am sure the conferment will be restricted to U.S. military only, Anyway, I do not think it will be welcomed very warmly, simply because the Navy Cross was a more prestigious award. And I am serious to say that the establishment of the Coast Guard MoH would be the next logical step to make the award systems of all services similar.

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Actually, Paul, in today's military, it is quite possible for an individual "Coastie" to be assigned to some kind of a joint Headquarters or composite unit, and thus not be operating under the Navy. I suspect, however, that in those situations, other awards would probably be available rather than this CG-specific one.

Interestingly, it is not limited to Coast Guard personnel, but to "a person... serving in any capacity with the Coast Guard". Thus, it could theoretically be given to a Coast Guard Auxilliary person, or to a member of another service temporarily serving with (or in support of) the CG--- or maybe even a civilian. Doc

Yes, but what are the odds of there being a front line Coast Guard unit that was under the complete control of the Coast Guard? This has never happened before(as far as I know). Even today, in the Middle East, the Coast Guard is under the Tactical Control of the Navy and in one case, the Army.

Yes, but what are the odds of there being a front line Coast Guard unit that was under the complete control of the Coast Guard? This has never happened before(as far as I know). Even today, in the Middle East, the Coast Guard is under the Tactical Control of the Navy and in one case, the Army.

I would offer that the odds are higher than ever before, given the fact that terrorist acts are considered war operations now. Any future attack on a US harbor, ship in a port, or on the hight seas with the CG present and in a front line combat role, and with a heroic act that would have merited the Navy Cross otherwise, would now allow the CG to recognise that heroism. Without the NC available, these men or women would receive what....some Department of Transportation medal? I'm not generally in favor of all the new medals that have come about over the last few years for just doing your duty, however this situation with the CGC is the same situation we had in WWI when we had no heroism award except the MOH, and the NC was created for that gap. Since the CG doesn't have the NC except when it is a part of the Navy, they should have some way to recognise their own members entitled to such an award. I live in an area with a very active CG presence, and those men and women are the least appreciated military service until you find yourself hanging on a capsized boat miles from land. They earn every award they get..

Firemedals

Additionally, I believe that the CG is involved in a lot of training/support missions to other countries (e.g. in Africa)--If one of those training missions began to take fire during a terrorist attack or a rebel attack on the host nation military, the CG could be eligible for this one. My understanding is that during many of this type of mission, the CG is operating under the control of the US Embassy in country, not under the US Navy.

Two thoughts -

First - this award mirrors the fact that all other services (unless you take exception due to the Navy Cross going to Marines - perhaps departments would be a better choice of words) have a unique award at this level. Coast Guard has always been somewhat of a "poor cousin" amongst the Armed Forces" and this may be partly a matter of addressing that.

Second - when operating under the control of Homeland Security - how are acts of exceptional heroism in the face of an armed enemy to be recognized?

I think the second point may have been the real motivation.

Interesting point on the exclusion of the Air Medal and Bronze Star Medal. Hard to understand unless they have been addressed by other legislation or... their "on/off switch" is similiar to the other services and authorization is already in place.

Edited by W McSwiggan

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Don't make any plans to add this medal to your collection. According to the Spec Notes:

5. This item is not authorized for commercial sale, and may be produced only under
    Government contract and at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard.