News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Modern Sacred Crown Mini

JapanX

Nick, given that Japanese miniatures are quite scarce due to the fact that the Japanese did not have a tradition of wearing miniatures, is there a danger that these new miniatures will start flooding the market to make good deficiencies in collections.

Paul

Nick, given that Japanese miniatures are quite scarce ...

Not anymore!

Modern mini's are freely available from the Japan Mint.

That's one additional reason for labeling this price "pure madness" ...

I think you are right and pretty soon we will see a lot of them at the market ...

Nick, they are not freely available. If you have proof that you were awarded a medal, you can have one made privately. And at your own expense. They are not available for purchase by anyone. Actually, that is exactly why the Crown went so high. Not only are there few 6th Class medals, few of the recipients would have ordered (and paid for) a miniature.

BTW, I am not sure how much one would cost from the Mint. But I suppose they are pricey.

Edited by fukuoka

Nick, they are not freely available. If you have proof that you were awarded a medal, you can have one made privately. And at your own expense. They are not available for purchase by anyone. Actually, that is exactly why the Crown went so high. Not only are there few 6th Class medals, few of the recipients would have ordered (and paid for) a miniature.

BTW, I am not sure how much one would cost from the Mint. But I suppose they are pricey.

Aha!

So after all you need "cavalier ID" to buy them from the mint...and this catalogue "for cavaliers only" http://www.mint.go.jp/wp-content/uploads/resources/htdocs/coin/pdf/catalog_02.pdf

Didn't know that ;)

P.S. The price around $1200 for this "precious" is still way too much ... IMHO of course :whistle:

Edited by JapanX

It is a catalog, but only for those who have already received a medal. You have to submit your award document or similar documents to be able to buy them. This is explicitly stated on the webpage.

The auction price is indeed high, of course, and I don't want to claim that the miniature is certainly worth that much, but at least two people thought as much. Just a thought: how many Sacred Crown miniature medals (official ones only) have you ever seen, in pictures or in person? I would bet you haven't seen many. Less than 10? Less than 5? Or maybe this 6th Class was the first of that class that you have ever seen?

That scarcity is exactly why the medal went for such a high price. And despite people disparaging the reverse, the obverse detail is quite impressive for such a tiny medal.

The auction price is indeed high, of course, and I don't want to claim that the miniature is certainly worth that much, but at least two people thought as much. Just a thought: how many Sacred Crown miniature medals (official ones only) have you ever seen, in pictures or in person? I would bet you haven't seen many. Less than 10? Less than 5? Or maybe this 6th Class was the first of that class that you have ever seen?

Yes, but this miniature is a modern one.

It doesn't have any historical value at all!

I have serious doubts if anyone even wore it ...

And despite people disparaging the reverse, the obverse detail is quite impressive for such a tiny medal.

I saw how much more impressive quality were sold for less money :)

But you are right about present rarity of these miniatures.

Another factor - their novelty for the market.

These are two factors that could stand behind this astronomical price.

I wonder what will be the prices for these modern miniatures in a couple of years :whistle:

We'll wait and see ;)

Edited by JapanX