News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Expectations on new Wernitz EK book?

• 3 weeks later...

Each one is a step forward.. Includes more and new "stuff" and information.... The older books are really essential works as they set the foundations... but if you use the Bowen book as example, ground breaking and fantastic as it was for its time... the Wernitz book leaves Bowen behind, a collectors item, but maybe no longer "needed" as far as EK research goes. That is absolutely not a negative reflection on Bowen... he was the Wright Brothers of his time... Wernitz may be the F-18 Fighter plane... without the Wright Brothers there would not have been a F-18...

Best

Chris

I couldn't agree more with Chris's point of view. I believe if you are truly interested in and committed to research, each new effort advances the knowledge base just a little further and therefore this new work will in all probability be 'required' reading.

Gary

I saw this today looking for Verlag Militaria's book on Freddrick the Great. I dont collect the IC anymore, but I am ordering one. This book looks to be fantastic, and if it is anything like the other Verlag books I have, it will not dissapoint. The photos and the information on contractors/subcontractors will be amazing to have. Whoever gets it first needs to post their opinions!!

They had it in their hands....Part one is full with informations about the historical roots of the iron cross-lot of writing about the German history.part two is the so called "typology".Well-I had high expectations about the 1914 Part-and in the end I'm disappointed .For me it seems they had never taken part in any forums,talked never with collectors from the dark side...
    Micha

• 11 months later...

Anything new on this?? I had to put off ordering it due to about 900 other books I want :) Would really like to get this, but I want to know what real IC collectors think about the information. There is so much discussion of ICs over the past 10 years, I really want to know if this is the current information.

I think he has it covered up to but not including WW1 documents and the selection of examples of WW1 crosses is appetite wetting, but nowhere near complete...

examples up to and including 1870 is nailed... as is history and text for 1914.

I can really recommend this.

The book is totally indispensable as a technical and political history of the Iron Cross (Vol I), and fairly worthless as a collector's guide to variants and makers, etc. (Vol II). I wouldn't be without it, but it depends what you're looking for.