News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

International Medal Collector magazine

dond

There is a great article in this months issue that discusses whether the award of the EK was cheapened during WW1. It is written by our very own Chris Boonzaier. Well done Chris. I think we have touched on the subject here but Chris actually uses facts and figures to support his argument.

Hi,

It is more or less the 1st part of a few pieces.

Nimmergut says something along the lines of "The award practises did not keep pace with the changing face of warfare"... which is B.S..... it is more like, he made no effort to calculate the changing face of warfare into the award practises.

And what he says has been parroted from book to book without any critical thinking

"The iron cross 2nd class was handed out in baskets to keep moral up......" is an insulting and baseless statement...

so this piece is the first set of thoughts against that.... too much of what has been written on this subject simply ignores the fact that the awards took place in wartime... and make claims of "cheapening" while ignoring what a military award is all about.

My intention is to enlarge on this subject with a 2nd part with more facts and figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am working on that at the moment. For the first part I was comparing 1870 and 1914 and came to conclusion, an 1870 EK was "easier" than a 1914 one.

Best

Chris

WOW, I really should somehow get this magazine!!