News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian shoulder strap question....

So.... I have not been able to find the blue boards. The Reichswehr had different ones... Abouth the only solution i can find is that these are probably bavarian between the end of the war and the founding of the reichswehr?

Maybe even just on regimental level?

best

Chris

Chris,

Laschen were not introduced in 1916. That was the Schlaufen for the Bluse. The Laschen for the Bluse were introduced in order to roll the shoulder straps, not as a loop to put the Lasche through.

I believe your dark blue straps with yellow "12" are for the old dark blue Bavarian Mantel. This was the pattern that proceeded the gray Mantel.

Chip

The old Bavarian Mantel took dark blue shoulder straps. The colored straps, as on the tunic, were used on the gray overcoat. It's quite possible that these dark blue coats were still in use in 1913, especially for reservists, etc.

Hi,

I dont exclude the possibility of the mantel, but these are more of a teal blue than the prewar blue. The teal blue is what the reichswehr had according to some superficial research. Also, he only entered service in 1913 as a young whippersnapper.

Is anything known about bavarian uniforms between the end of the war and the time they joined the reichswehr?

Best

Chris

P.S. I do realise they are boards he could have picked up "Along the way" but the group is really a time capsule group, down to the dust and moth eggs...

Chris,

I thought the army wore feldgrau after the war. and these appear to be too large for postwar straps. If they are a time capsule, then I would suspect that they are imperial as is everything else in the lot.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

The only photo that I readily recall is in the book, "Lancers and Dragoons", by R.J. Marrion. It shows a group of Bavarian Chevaulegers, some of which are wearing the old dark blue overcoat. The straps appear to be a color other than dark blue, but they are cavalry and wore nothing on their colored boards in the way of numbers or insignia. I suspect cavalry units kept their tunic straps on these coats.

Chip

• 1 year later...