News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Medal for the Liberation of Belgrade

I have this Medal for the Liberation of Belgrade that recently has triggered a vivid discussion among collectors about its authenticity.

While the avers seems quite convincing, the obverse give to many of them the impression it is a cast copy. There are also two, three lines which might be superficial cracks and signs of thorough filing in the top area towards the suspension ring.

Personally I consider this medal an original one, which possibly suffered from a defective struck that required some adjustments afterwards. Somebody suggested that such ugly medals would have normally been rejected by the quality inspector and returned to the melting pot, rather than being awarded to a veteran.

I look forward to read your comments based on the attached photos.

Thank you

Edited by rocketscientist

I like the details, but the finish is really strange for me. These medals are very well reproduced, so be careful. What do others here say about this one?

I can't make up my mind on this one, but it just makes me wonder....

Why would they give a veteran a "defect" medal?

and

Up until now, how many recorded original defect medals of similar caliber can we list? (under any orders and medals?)

I think that the comment wanted to mean that this medal is original but never assigned because of its defects. Instead of being melted to recover the metal (which would have been its normal destiny), it was somehow disperse and after years is offered on sale as a "pure" original.

By the way, I was reporting a comment received on this medal, but I would like to point out that signs of filing, as in this case near the top edge, are common in all types of commemorative medals, therefore I assume that not-perfect die-strucks were not necessarily thrown away at the mint, but corrected and given to the awardees. The creases on the obverse are very light and in my opinion were not visible when the gold wash was new, and I think that they would not have been good reasons for rejecting a medal. They are evident only under magnification and because they are bolded by the remaining gilding.

This medal can look much more "natural" in standard photographs.

It is difficult to say or this medal is original or fake. Because of the soldered on ring this medal should be a variation one. It is good to know that this medal is quit rare and therefore heavily faked. The only good reference is compare the medal with an original one! Maybe these links can help you;

http://mondvor.narod.ru/MOsvBelg.html ,

We are just trying to say that the Belgrade is heavily copied, sometimes you can place a real original over a fake and not tell the difference except for small differences, that is why most collectors stay away from this medal :S

How many have been handed out?

How many do we see on the market?

:D

Supply and demand, less supply, more demand = make some copies! for crooked dealers :D

I would only buy one of these from either a HIGHLY experienced/trusted collector or dealer.

This is, more or less, what I have tried to do. The dealer is specialized USSR orders e-seller from Sofia that treated me honestly in previous occasions. I think he had some difficulty in placing this medal since the price was very attractive. But he guarantees it's an original one.

Grazie Nick. Complimenti per il tuo italiano, ma cosa vuoi dire con ""Billetta" scartato"?

Thank you Nick, and compliments for your italian! Could you say more on the factory defects you see on this medal and how could they be generated? Is the raw metal poor or the die-struck went wrong?

Cheers

Sergio

Nick,

none of the medals you posted is as ugly as mine. I have more than one medal in my collection with off-centered ring or misaligned faces.

My impression is that is just an operator mistake in positioning the die for the struck of the second face. In all the posted cases the suspension ring is aligned with the avers! I have at least one medal, a leningrad if I remember well, with ring not in line with any of the two faces. :unsure:

We are just trying to say that the Belgrade is heavily copied, sometimes you can place a real original over a fake and not tell the difference except for small differences, that is why most collectors stay away from this medal :S

How many have been handed out?

How many do we see on the market?

:D

Supply and demand, less supply, more demand = make some copies! for crooked dealers :D

This is what I also try to say. For me there is just one good reference to check an order or medal; I want to check it while I can see it and keep it in my hand.

By Internet I will only buy it from a dealer who will give me a 100% guarantee that I can return it when I should not be satisfied.
    Understand me very well, I wish you that the medal is original.

I would like to thank you all for having given your opinion.

Such medals like the Liberation of Belgrade, and many others, are scarce enough to encourage fakers in producing copies at all levels of quality, sometime extremely accurate. I have tried to make the most thorough inspection of this medal and comparison with true original I was able to, but my references are only photographic, since I have no possibility to see another Belgrade in real. This is one of the main reasons fakers are so successful. Many of their copies will be the first medal (and often the only one) of a kind that their "customers" will see in their hands.

cheers

sergio