News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kaserne des Feld-Artillerie Regiments (Artillery Barracks)

Not specifically a kaserne shot, but this card of Doblen village is one of my interesting ones (to me) - it has the stempel of ArtillerieFliegerSchule II. in Doblen

Your postcard is more picturesque than the current view:

The building on the right just across the bridge in your postcard is still standing:

I don't see anything on GoogleEarth that looks like an old airfield around Dobele/Doblen. Nor does one appear on the 1917 German map, the 1930 Latvian Army map, or the 1935 Soviet Army map of the region. I suppose they might have just had a field or temporary strip.

I don't see anything on GoogleEarth that looks like an old airfield around Dobele/Doblen. Nor does one appear on the 1917 German map, the 1930 Latvian Army map, or the 1935 Soviet Army map of the region. I suppose they might have just had a field or temporary strip.

Not much on the internet about the site. I did find a bit: "Artillerie Fliegerschule Ost II at Doblen from 26.03.1917" Since it was established in March 1917 and the Eastern Front was concluded in Nov/Dec 1917, it very well could have been a temporary field strip.

As far as I can tell, there were only two other Artillerie Fliegerschule; Alt-Autz (also in Latvia) and one in Bayern at Grafenwöhr

• 8 years later...

Hello everyone,
    I recently registered here. In the first post I would like to add something to the history of Artillerie-Fliegerschulle II.
    At a numismatic auction in Germany, I managed to buy a one emergency money (Notgeld) worth 10 Pfennig, which was in circulation in this military unit in June 1918.

Greetings from Poland

Flieger_Schule_Abt_B_578.jpg

Edited by 2mor