News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross in Civilian Clothes

• 1 month later...
    • Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freiherr von Pentz (1882-1968) was a former active, then reserve officer of saxon Ulanen Rgt. 17. In 1917/1918 he was a batallion cdr. in IR 134. His younger sister Helene was married with Carl Heinrich von Stülpnagel, later Wehrmacht General and 1944 condemned to death.

Gruß Stefan

Sorry, have some trouble with pic-uploading

Edited by IR 134

Bernhard,

So you would say the EK are 39s not 14s, any reason why? I assumed WW1 as I can't see anything to indicate anything else or is it the uniforms themselves?

Cheers

Jock :)

Hello Jock.

The overall impression I get from the photo is 1939 on. The caps of the officers appear more 1930's than 1914 or thereabouts. The shirt collars , the cut of coats . Just later than WW I. EK ribbon on black/white give me no clue.

Bernhard H. Holst

Thanks for the direction guys. It is not an area I know much about but you do so a few general questions, were the crewmen of these ships KM sailors or were they merchant marine men perhaps from the ships civilian crew or a mix? Its just that there are a couple of older gentlemen in the pic or is this common in this kind of crew?

Thanks in adavance!

The complement of German Merchant Navy ships would be regarded as civilians, in the early stage of the war perhaps with some reservists amongst them who served earlier as conscripts in the 1930s. Senior officers, carpenters, cooks and artisans were usually older and more experienced men. When a gun was fitted, to keep submarines at bay, a hand full of Naval Gunners could be added to the crew. In 1941, when the Allied Navies tightened the grips on the North Sea, the Germans instituted the badge for Blockade Runners (Blokadebrecherabzeichen).

It might be interesting to research into MN ships' crews who received the EK2... It could be for fighting off successfully an enemy submarine, or for running the gauntlet several times, or for supporting a risky or important (Naval) mission. I dare say that there were not a great many MN men who would have earned the EK2.

Enclosed a MN Ship's Captain of the H.A.P.A.G., with the EK1 (1914) and NSDAP membership badge,

Edited by Odulf

Odulf, Bernhard,

Thanks for that, so a transient period with mixtures of crews, makes sense I suppose.

I would not know where to begin with merchant marine stuff so I will leave it at that!

At least I have learned something from you both, thankyou!

I was off at a tangent with my thoughts of an on board get together of WW1 EK winners, always good to have other eyes that see what you yourself miss!

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Johannes Hauschildt

Postassistent

former Sergeant at Garde-Fernsprech-Abteilung Nr. 5

With Militärverdienstkreuz awarded 8.11.1918

EK 2 1914

Warmerit cross 2nd class X

Hindicross

Treuedienstehrenzeichen 25 years

EK 1 1914

I believe a post 2 WW photo

Regards

Andreas

Bernhard,

Nothing on the back but it was with the DLV cards together with another handful that came from the same place. The DLV is named on the reverse so if you can pick out his mug on there I will post the reverse.

Stay Well!

jock :)

Hello Jock.

Let us have a go at that.

It should be mentioned that this, the highest award for other ranks ( enlisted personnel ) was only given to 1773 persons during the war. Some few also received the Pour-Le-Merite after promotion to officer rank for additional deeds.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 8 months later...