News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Freikorps Awards - beyond the Baltic Cross and Silesian Eagle

I thought I would start a thread of Freikorps awards, beyond the usual Baltic Cross/Silesian Eagle posts.

To get things started, here's a recent acquisition (not in hand yet, but coming).

Treukreuz (2nd pattern) for Freikorps von Neufville / Schwarze Garde.

last one for now.

Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse - III. Marine-Brigade von Loewenfeld.

There are many well-made fakes of this around. But, they fall down on 6 main details: the wreath and anchor, the grain pattern on the arms, the typeface, the pin and hinge and the maker mark and overall finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice skull array. I especially like the MWH shield, Danzig Skulls and the two Iron Division medals. Although, I wouldn't consider Wehrwolf to be Freikorps, strictly speaking.

Here's a Military Pass to a guy who served in the east from 1914 to early 1919 doing defence duty in the Ukraine, from June-December 1918. He was awarded the Schutztruppe Bug Star, as noted in his pass. It's the only Freikorps award that recognized WWI service: i.e. in defence forces in the east after the Russian Revolution and treaty with Russia in 1917.

Award document signed by Wilfried von Loewenfeld, to the Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse - III. Marine-Brigade von Loewenfeld shown above.

Note that on the reverse is a reference to the only maker/supplier of this cross, Paul Kuest.

Edited by bolewts58