News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LCpl F. Stober, MM and Bar, SA Sharpshooters, WW1

W

I have posted some details on this unit in previous posts and this is the third group that I have the privilege to be custodian of.

I am busy with deliberate research on the unit and every individual that joined and is listed as being part of this very elite unit.

Lance Corporal Frederick Stober joined the South African (Baileys) Sharpshooters on the 27th of June 1916. He was 37 years old and had passed the very stringent selection to become a member of this illustrious unit. Stober was born in Claremont in Cape Town. A carpenter by trade, he was a resident of Kenilworth, Cape Town at the time of his attestation. He was married to Maria Stober and their ceremony had taken place on 10 June 1904 in Calvinia in the Cape Province. The couple had five children with the last child having been born in October, 1916.

He is described as having being sallow with dark hazel eyes and stood at 5 feet and 8 inches. His weight was given as 144 pounds on attestation.

Stober had seen active service during the Anglo-Boer War and was Trooper No 606 in Warrens Mounted Infantry. He joined on the 27th of June 1901 and remained part of the unit until 19 July 1901. It was during this period that he encountered a very serious bout of enteric fever. After recovering, he joined the South African Light Horse as No 36288 Corporal Stober and served until 13 May 1902 when he left as time expired.

As No 20 in the South African Sharpshooters, he joined the 1st Northamptonshire Regiment on 1 December 1916. His service as a scout/sniper was duly recognised and he was awarded the Military Medal and Bar in accordance with the London Gazettes that were dated 13 and 17 March 1919 respectively.

The arduous life and exposure to the elements had a major negative effect on Stobers health:

Served in Boer War, eneteric fever, joined for overseas. Transferred to H.1 (sd) E. Basil Brooke, Capt. S.M.C. 5.2.18 Mist. Rhei c Gent tds. Influenza in France Nov.1916. Dec.1916 felt pain in back and legs. Went on Med. Duty till March 1917, went sick pains in legs and back. Went to hosp. Rouen 3 weeks, marked nephritis, transferred to hospital Manchester 12 days and transferred to Richmond May 20th 1917. Returned to France to duty June 1917, felt ill indefinite pains in back and legs. Carried on until Jan. 1918. Went sick 24.1.18 with ischic rectal abscess. Sent to Etaples, transferred to Richmond 3.2.18. Present condition: feels tired, slight pain across back and left shoulder, legs stiff and weak. Heart sounds normal, no enlargement. 8.2.18 Bilharzia ova in urine. Mist. Salcl.tds. 6.3.18 Less pains in limbs, not much haematuria. 10.3.18 is much improved, no symptoms of circulatory disturbance. Recommended 10 days furlough class 2.

Signed .B.J. Guillemard M.D.

He was discharged on 27 June 1919 being temporally unfit for War Service. This was a decision made by a Medical Board on 30 May 1919. His military character was described as being Very Good and he had served for three years and one day. This took place at the Dispersal Depot at Maitland in the Cape.

• 3 months later...

i am very happy to have found this information frederick stober is my grand dad. i was searching for more than 2decades i have not seen my grand dad.please can i have more information on frederick stober.hilda craig from scotland thanks

Edited by hilda

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...