News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fraud warning

Bob

Gentlemen,

There is a seller on eBay right now (profile name: dealsmongol) who is a fraud:

• I've purchased items from him which were never posted despite payments being made
    • He's listed items which were confirmed to not be in his possession (for instance: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/20900-banzragch-es/ which is in Ed's hands but also a Hero Star / old style Red Banners which were stolen from the National History Museum in UB several years ago and are now in Russia as well as a documented combat red banner which is not in his possession)

This case has unravelled in recent week / days as more and more data points have arisen and I'd like to present them all.

First of all, the seller dealsmongol or the related items are not in Korea:

• IP addresses from emails make clear he's in UB
    • Phone numbers linked to online profiles make clear he's in Mongolia as well
    • The documented combat red banner was available for sale on the UB market AFTER it was posted online

Second, there are very strong signals pointing towards this fraudulent seller (dealsmongol) being identical to past fraudulent eBay profiles, specifically:

• bazoknowsdeals (dec 2011 - dec 2012) - profile ended after fraud
    • dukgun2006 (aug 2006 - sept 2008) - profile ended after fraud
    • golden976 (dec 2004 - oct 2008) - profile ended after fraud
    • pumbark (aug 2003 - aug 2006) - profile ended after fraud

What kind of fraud? For sure shill bidding (just do a search on Pumbark on GMIC) but also (bazoknowsdeals / dealsmongol) selling items on eBay which the seller does NOT own.

More to come...

Now, some facts about dealsmongol:

• He emails using an account called osohbayar976@gmail.com
    • He collects payments via Skrill (which is not UK based but Bulgaria based apparently, and should be avoided!) using an account called chuluunbaatar.dr@gmail.com
    • dealsmongol actually emailed me indicating that his Osoh Bayer name is fake (fine, no surprise)

Some facts about a past ebay seller who was identified here on GMIC as somebody applying shill bidding to jack up prices:

More facts to come...

There was a posting of a Mongolian KGB badge right here on GMIC: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/5058-mongolian-state-security/page-7?hl=goldensq%40gmail.com#entry253583

A posting by goldensq@gmail.com.

Interestingly enough, this exact item was used by dealsmongol recently in a fraudulent eBay offer (Item 290998185415). Dealsmongol had a SECOND pic though, with the exact same background.

So, hypothesis... dealsmongol = goldensq(976)

Wait, it gets better...

bazoknowsdeals had this as his eBay profile tagline: "Hi I am a new seller based in Mongolia I do sell land cruiser parts as well as collectible and military."

bazoknowsdeals, dealsmongol, golden976 etc. all have purchased spare parts (incl. for motorcycles) from the exact same eBay sellers

looking at the listings and feedback given from these various profiles:

• Listings tend to be with caps lock on
    • Feedback given by these profiles is often very similar in how it's phrased, for example: +++Received++ = bazo, +++Thanks a lot ++++ = goldensq976, +++AAAA+++ = dealsmongol
    • Listings for sale are often for similar items (eg Thangka) and use a particular symbol... e.g. "MONGOLIAN OLD BUDDHIST SUPERB DRAWN THANGKA~CHECK" = 2008 "~ MONGOLIA THANGKA PAINTING 4 PIECES" = 2013 - I am referring to the "~" symbol

The names Osoh Bayar (linked to dealsmongol) and Tuvshinjargal Sanjaa (linked to bazoknowsdeals) are both knowledgable about Mongolian orders/medals yet are ENTIRELY unknown in the small Mongolian collecting community. Leads me to believe these names are fake and to believe that there is one specific person behind all these defrauding profiles. Somebody who knows about mongolian orders/medals, is interested in driving motorcycles / 4x4's, and is inclined to defraud people. I'm pretty sure who this is. There is more evidence which I've not shared in this thread.

By the way, I have an email from this person where he admits that dukgun2006, golden976 and pumbark were all his profiles.

The other facts above point very strongly towards this person continuing his "multi-profile" approach on eBay in later years... but now with bazoknowsdeals and dealsmongol as his profiles.

More facts appearing - during the 2010 period (roughly) a "person" using following names "Jamiyan Mishigdorj greatsellu@yahoo.com" was active on eBay.

He was using golden_seller@yahoo.com as his paypal address (golden... ring a bell?).

At that time I had bought something from him and it also did not arrive. A lot of signals from scanning old emails that this is just another name used by the fraud mentioned above...

Thanks for alerting fellow collectors Bob and sorry to hear about your experiences.

I run a mile away from any ebay or non-ebay seller that insists on any form of payment OTHER THAN Paypal, e.g. wire transfer, etc. Exception being reputable auction houses.

There was another scam seller purportedly based in the Ukraine advertising rare Manchukuo orders using images culled from somewhere else. Demanded wire-transfer only.

In your experience, do many ebay sellers insist on non-Paypal?

I recall Ebay was insisting on Paypal but there was some anti-competitive trade practices issues involve. I can now appreciate their reasons for doing so.

• 2 weeks later...

Have observed what I suspect is a part of the ebay fraud method. Long delayed, I now received a package from Mongolia (registered mail with tracking nr). Rather than containing orders/medals, it contained a stack of useless (well...) Mongolian postcards.

Seller can claim he shipped.

Buyer still doesn't have what he paid for.

Be very careful with new sellers on ebay putting rare Mongolian items up for sale...

• 1 month later...

To be clear, this is not minor fraud: the recent eBay auctions from dealsmongol add up to >20K USD. I am aware of a case regarding bazoknowsdeals of 3K USD.

Do we know what was the outcome from those eBay auctions? Did any collectors buy and what happened after the close of the actions?

Do we know what was the outcome from those eBay auctions? Did any collectors buy and what happened after the close of the actions?

He has not gotten any feedback on the larger high priced transactions

My guess is that the high bidder was a shill bid from the seller and that the sale was then conducted offline from ebay with the next lowest bidder.

I know for a fact that the documented red banner was seen and recently bought on the UB market by a highly respected forum member here. There is no way the fraudulent ebay dealer owned that item.

This may not be the last time we see this seller... After a cool down period he may appear again under a new name, get some feedback on small transactions and then throw some high end stuff on ebay for sale.

The listings have been removed and the seller is no longer a registered ebay user.

He can keep creating new ebay aliases and making new attempts at stealing people's money but at least he and his methods are "known" over here

Karma will catch up with him.

• 2 months later...

There is a seller currently listing some of the brass ribbon bars on eBay. I have a suspicion that it's the old fraud back again. Can't confirm it just yet, but suggest people are careful.

His ebay name is temdegnaimaa and previously was batzo-2014 (he only had the profile under that name for one single day before changing it to something else; this can be seen using USER ID History on eBay).

By the way, Batzo is the abbreviated first name of a person behind earlier mentioned fraudulent profiles...

Red warning lights are flashing - be careful!

• 2 weeks later...

I made an offer on the ribbon bars and the seller asked to conclude the sale outside of Ebay and that he had other items available............... I believe this is the same gentleman.

The thing is, I had frequent dealings with him back in the early days and he always delivered great stuff... Maybe he has fallen on hard times who knows. I do know his real name although, I am reluctant to expose him here, I have emailed Ebay about this matter. Either way I doubt this will be the last we see of him.

Jan

• 6 months later...

Heads up: profile name "boysodo" may be trying to sell the same ribbon bars... I suspect it's the same jerk again

Just looked up bazoknowsdeals profile and his feedback to others on eBay is often very similarly phrased as the new profile, there's a few other subtle ways to identify him as well... I'd suggest to stay clear from boysodo, I'm 99.99% certain he's the fraud again

Edited by Bob

• 9 months later...

boysodo is active on ebay again:

1) I won a government certificate auction for close to 15 USD, paid via paypal and expected it to be shipped. What did he do: cancel the listing and then sent me a message that after all he only wanted to sell it for at least 150 USD. Sellers remorse... I placed the bid on purpose to get a reason to report him to ebay and he fell for it. Hopefully they'll shut him down.

2) He is also listing a fake Mongolian KGB badge.

His paypal account is using lallyjo@comcast.net as an email address with the (fake) John Lally name. The real person behind it is Mongolian.

Be aware that this guy is a fraud.