News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Medal of Mothers and Widows of Fallen

Okay, I know the name of the medal...even in Italian... Medaglia per le Madri e vedove dei Caduti

I can't find too much online about the medal... Is it WW1 or WW2 era? I've seen one reference that it was instituted in 1919 or 1922. So, possibly a commemorative for those who lost loved ones in the Great War?

I've also seen it related to the Associazione Nazionale Madri e Vedove dei Caduti... Unofficial or was this awarded by the Government?

There were two versions of this medal. One issued during/after WW1 and one in 1956 for the mothers of fallen during WW2. All medals posted in this thread so far are type 1 (recognised by the presence of the brim along the circumference of the medal).

The second version is much less common (I could only find one picture of it).

6uq7583bb6.jpg

Giovanni Prini is the sculptor who designed the medal. The other name is the company or more in particular the atelier who got the license for production.

The decoration was instituted in 1919 (Regio Decreto n.800) with the name "Distintivo d'Onore per le Madri dei Caduti in Guerra" (Badge of Honor to the Mothers of Fallen in War) specifically intended for the mothers having lost in combat or because of wounds received in combat one or more sons. In 1938 Mussolini extended the rights to the mothers of fallen in AOI (1935-36) and in Spain, in 1940 they were extended to the Expedition in Albania.

It was finally extended to WW2 in January 1943 and at that point in time it was renamed Medaglia di Gratitudine Nazionale per le Madri dei Caduti (Medal of the National Gratitude to the Mothers of Fallen).

The Italian Republic granted the medal to the mothers of fallen in WW2 with the Decree of the President of the Republic D.P.R. 23/10/1956 n.1672 making reference to the initial institution of 1919:

"Alle madri dei militari, militarizzati ed assimilati che, durante la guerra 1940-45, siano caduti sul campo, rimasti dispersi in azioni di guerra, scomparsi in mare, deceduti in seguito a ferite o lesioni prodotte da mezzi bellici durante lo svolgimento di operazioni di guerra o caduti nelle condizioni previste dall'art. 8 del del Decreto Legislativo Luogotenenziale 21 Agosto 1945, n.518 può essere conferita la medaglia di gratitudine nazionale per le madri dei caduti istituita con regio decreto 24 maggio 1919, n. 800"

The medal was never supposed to be given to the Widows of soldiers died in combat.

Edited by rocketscientist

Now... since the award was authorized for WW2 in the 1950s, did combatants who fought and fell under Mussolini(and Germany) receive one as well?

Obviously not. Mussolini's troops were never recognised as a National Force.

The Decreto Legislativo Luogotenenziale 21 Agosto 1945, n.518 defines the status of "Partisan" and the criteria to assimilate them to the military veterans or fallen of war. Their mothers were eligible for the medal.

Depends on what you mean with "combatants who fought and fell under Mussolini". While Mussolini was the Prime Minister of the Italian Government, these soldiers were enlisted in the King's Army, Air Force or Navy (Regio Esercito, Regia Aviazione, Regia Marina) and until September 8,1943 they were not fighting under Mussolini but under the King. Until then, each soldier or assimilated military serviceman was entitled to receive the medal.

After the armistice, Mussolini built up his own Army and fought on the Germans' side. Northern Italy was occupied by the Germans (and Mussolini's troops) while the Royal Army was disbanded. The King was able to control only the southern part of Italy with the remaining of the Regio Esercito (and Navy, and AirForce).

After the Nation was re-united after the war, the status of "Military Serviceman" was modified, adding the partisans to the Regio Esercito and other military-like organisations participating to the war, of course by the winner's side.

Fascists, even if organised both in Military Units and Militia were not considered as part of an "Italian Army" even if most of the enlisted men were of course Italians like the others. I think this is normal after a Civil War.