News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The develpoment of the Fourragère triple of the 3. REI French Foreign Legion

aubagne98

Hi,

in november 1915 the RICM (Régiment de marche de la Légion Étrangère, later named 3. RE, 3. REI, 3. REIM and again RMLE. since 1945 3. REI) was instituted.

After the regiment was awarded the second palm to the croid de guerre it received the fourragère in the colors of the ribbon of the CdG (Croix de guerre, green with red) in June 1916.

For the 4th palm it received the fourragère Medaille Militaire (MM) in July 1917 and in september 19717 the fourragère Legion d´honneur (LH) for the 6th palm.

For the 9th palm the regiment received the fourragère double, LH+CdG+extra cord.

For the 2nd of its three palms the regiment was awarded with the fourragère CdG 1939.

It is the same like the WW1, but to differentiate both the WW2 has an olive (red with green).

If a regiment earned the fourragères of both WW, the WW1 was shown throug a olive (green with red) , too.

Both olives are worn on the highe of both fourragères.

To show MM and LH fourrageres there were a system of several olives.

CdG

half-half CdG and MM for fourragère MM

half-half CdG and LH for fourragère LH

half-half CdG and LH with white disc for fourragère double LH+CdG

During the french Indochine war the regiment earned the fourragère of the CdG TOE (Théâtres d'opérations extérieurs) for two and the fourragère MM with olive TOE (this olive is not divided) for four palms.

I hope s.o.is interested in and I could unravel the fourragère question ;)

Michael

During the french Indochine war the regiment earned the fourragère of the CdG TOE (Théâtres d'opérations extérieurs) for two and the fourragère MM with olive TOE (this olive is not divided) for four palms.

I hope s.o.is interested in and I could unravel the fourragère question ;)

Michael

Hello Michael.

Thanks for this post. It certainly explains the history of the unit citations this tradition laden regiment has accumulated.

It bears mention that it also received a U.S. Presidential Unit Citation and is together with the former RICM ( Regiment d'Infanterie Coloniale du Maroc, actually an armored regiment) the most decorated regiment in the French Army. This writer served on several occasions alongside different battalions during the French phase of the Indochina War.

Bernhard H. Holst

The RICM has the same fourragères, but two more palm on its cravatte

WW1 - WW2 - Indochine (TOE)

3. REI: 9 - 3 - 4 = 16 palms

RICM: 10 - 2 - 5 - and 1 more on the TOE for Libanon 1978, but because this wasn´t the same conflict, this 6th palm did not count for the fourragère LH mit olive TOE = 18 palms

There are three Legion regiments who received the fourragere CVM: 2. REP, 2. REG, 1. REC

The 2. REP also has the palm on their Kolwezi cross