News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chevalier of LdeH with Officier Rosette?

jeffskea

Hello,

I have a 3rd Republic Legion de Honneur Officier grade which I'm wondering if it is actuallty a Chevalier insignia with an Officier's ribbon and rosette? Was this common practice for those elevated within the Order? This particular decoration was awarded to a British officer. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Jeff

Edited by jeffskea

Here are photos of the reverse which seems to show the makers mark. The badge has undergone quite a bit of wear over the years but the reverse does seem to show a bit more of the gold so perhaps still an Officer grade? Using the helpful markers thread on this forum it appears to have the cornucopia of Monnaie one on each side of the suspension but cannot see an "A" or "O".

Edited by jeffskea

Jeff,

It seems to be an officer, on which the gold plated has partially disapeared.

However, it is a relatively current practice for some people to put a rosette on the ribbon without changing the cross when elevated from chevalier to officier.

Here is an example on a group of a French officer where the cross is a chevalier and the ribbon an officer :

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-2068-0-06748500-1390646873.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-2068-0-39355300-1390646883.jpg

Regards

Bison

Edited by Bison

Thanks for the input Bison, I agree it seems like the Officier grade, the green enameld leaves are in better condition on the reverse and show the gold more in tact. I will get a magnifying glass to see if I can see any letters on the makers marks. Thanks again.

Jeff

• 7 months later...

Good day,

Would anyone be able to tell me if there are any notable variation differences with regard to makers of the Legion of Honour immediately before and after WW2? I ask in reference to the LdeH Officer at the beginning of the thread and wonder if it is possible to determine whether it was made before or after the War. I apologize if this question has already been asked in previous threads. Thanks.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

This is very hard to say...

The model with "1870" started in 1870 and ended in 1951. Concerning your model it is absolutely impossible to say because this is a standard from the Monnaie de Paris, the official mint.

Regards

Bison