News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Médaille Sociétés de Secours aux Blesses Militaires

IrishGunner

I picked up this post card of French Red Cross nurses a few months ago. I often get a few items related to nurses since my wife is a Nurse Practitioner. It's a small way to connect her to my collecting "obsession."

When I saw a chance to obtain one of the Médaille Sociétés de Secours aux Blesses Militaires pictured in the photo for a nice price; I snagged it... Arrived in the mail today.

I've seen the medals named and numbered online; unfortunately, mine is not named, but the number seems "low." I wonder if there is a way to trace the numbers...

But if I might ask... What do you consider a nice price?

"Nice" is of course relative to personal taste. "Nice" to me is what I'm willing to pay without going above what I personally think it's worth to have in my collection and fits into my monthly collecting budget as "expendable" - meaning something that isn't "artillery." Even for artillery, I refuse to go above my set max and get into bidding battles. My "nice" price could bare no resemblance to "market value."

For this piece, with what appears to be an original ribbon (and the smaller size which from my rudimentary research suggests its a woman's version) and the relatively low number, I set my bid range for GBP 20 - 24. I won it for GBP 24 (or roughly $40 US or the cost of lunch with a couple beers). Too much? I don't know. I've seen them on dealer sites for GBP 35 and on French eBay for Euro 35 and even below Euro 10.