News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I feel like engraving some EK1s......

No... I am not going to actually do it... but sometimes I get frustrated...

I have 7 attributed crosses... I do my best to research as much as I can.... but I simply know that somewhere dowm the line the cross and the man will be seperated... Either by accident, or because someone does not care.

Not gonna do it... but sometimes i wish i could....

Hi Chris,

Your post has triggered a memory of back in the days when I was seriously interested in paleontology and geology. We used to mark specimens with a small dab of white acrylic paint (titanium white I believe) and once dry a number would be written on with a straight pen dipped in India Black ink. This was sometimes covered with clear finger nail polish. This can be removed with nail polish remover if needed. This paint comes in tubes and is sold at artists supply stores.

My question to you is whether something like this could be done on the backs of the EKI with the recipients name and other information. Failing this perhaps a type of tape could be employed instead and used for the same purpose. The smooth back of the EKI should allow for easy removal if needed.

You could test it out on one of your wifes kitchen knives to see if it would work for you, and also test if it could be removed easily enough. If it fails your expectations you have the option of throwing the knife out and tell the missus that it was probably tossed out with the garbage while cleaning off a plate. It happens.

If this sounds like a crazy idea then perhaps it will start you thinking about other alternatives; about the information on the back of the EKI not about explaining the missing knife, youre on your own with that.

Regards

Brian

I have 7 attributed crosses... I do my best to research as much as I can.... but I simply know that somewhere dowm the line the cross and the man will be seperated... Either by accident, or because someone does not care.

I have had the very same thoughts about some items in my collection. It is a frustrating and depressing thought.

• 2 weeks later...

...in paleontology and geology. We used to mark specimens with a small dab of white acrylic paint (titanium white I believe) and once dry a number would be written on with a straight pen dipped in India Black ink. This was sometimes covered with clear finger nail polish. This can be removed with nail polish remover if needed. My question to you is whether something like this could be done on the backs of the EKI

Great idea. I see these accession numbers on all the artifacts at the Museum of Natural History and also at the Met here in NYC -- even on super valuable gold Egyptian necklaces and such.

I have a couple of named crosses without docs. and also four crosses that belonged to the same person (his EKI certificate exists, the EKII certificate doesn't) but, if the group didn't come directly to you from the family of the recipient there's no way of knowing if the cross/crosses were separated years ago and recently put together with any old document.

Tony

Chris Boonzaier, on 28 Feb 2014 - 15:04, said:

Simple tags may work. (Images from the web)

• 2 weeks later...

I guess its an age old problem.... another problem (My fault due to chaos) due to the many documents I have I have until now always had the EKs seperate with tags... but every now and then a tag an an award get seperated...

My idea for the moment, that allows you to keep them in a binder with the documents, is to enlarge a photo of the recipient....

Poke holes through, mount the cross, glue on a backing....

Put it in the binder....

I just need to add some name tags..

Here are a few...

Lt d.res Chambeau

Since i posted the Photo of Lt Wolf 30 minutes ago the relative I got the cross from confirmed he was in Jäger bataillon 13

Like button needed ^ :D

I will do with my non Official "Like"

:o:D I like :D :D :)

Edited by Rogi