News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Württemberg/Prussia: Present for Karl von Normann-Ehrenfels (1866-1914)

Here is a farewell present from his fellow officers of the 3. Grade Feldartillerie-Regiment in form of a silver dish engraved with all their arms. Those who were not noble and/or did not have arms just added their monograms.

Karl von Normann-Ehrenfels died as commander oft the Feldartillerie-Regiment „König Karl“ (1. Württembergisches) Nr. 13 at the beginning of WWI.

His other biographical/career data can be seen on the last scan.

An almost identical piece is known for Generalfeldmarschall Werner von Brauchitsch (1881-1948):

http://www.huesken.com/shop/de/persoenlichkeiten-des-iii-reiches/werner-brauchitsch-silberteller-41769.html

IrishGunner said it best, Saxcob, this is an awesome salver - and also an extremely interesting piece for those of us interested in heraldry. Is it yours?

I wonder how much it cost each of his comrades-in-arms? Dependent on its weight and size, I imagine you might have to spend £750 to £1000 for a decent one, today. To which one needs to add engraving costs: to have one shield engraved, I would expect to pay between £50 and £75 (depending on complexity) - although you might get some discount for 27 of them - plus more for the wonderful inscription and 'wappen'. At today's prices, I can therefore quite imagine that the other officers would have to have contributed £80+ each! Perhaps not so much for an esteemed brother officer but you wouldn't want it to happen every week :)

I notice that there is a 14 month gap between the two examples you have brought to our attention, so there must be some more out there, surely?

Is it yours?

Yes, it is mine though it did not buy it on purpose. It came with objects of an other Württemberg officer of high rank. However, I could not find any connection between the two of them, no family or unit ties whatsoever.

I notice that there is a 14 month gap between the two examples you have brought to our attention, so there must be some more out there, surely?

There is obvously no subesquent timely order of these salvers. Whenever one member of the officer's corps left, he would receive such a farewell present. How often that would usually happen I do not know. The noble fellow officers were probably able to afford it.

These salvers seem to be exceptional though. I have never seen any other of such fine workmanship and detailed engravings. However, the price of the Brauchitsch salver might reflect more the significance of the officer himself rather than the value of the salver.

Yes, it is mine though it did not buy it on purpose. It came with objects of an other Württemberg officer of high rank. However, I could not find any connection between the two of them, no family or unit ties whatsoever.

There is obvously no subesquent timely order of these salvers. Whenever one member of the officer's corps left, he would receive such a farewell present. How often that would usually happen I do not know. The noble fellow officers were probably able to afford it.

These salvers seem to be exceptional though. I have never seen any other of such fine workmanship and detailed engravings. However, the price of the Brauchitsch salver might reflect more the significance of the officer himself rather than the value of the salver.

Thank you for these interesting comments, Saxcob. I agree with you as to the quality of the engraving. Accident or not, I am most envious of you for owning such an astonishing piece.