News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why people are doing naughty things?

Hi all,

Yesterday I picked up haul of ribbon bar plates, lose ribbons, etc including this nice and old plate! I can't believe it that someone had been ripped off the medals from an amazing medal bar! I don't see any logic behind there - why??? Now there can be three lose medals floating around, instead keep them like they were. Probably even value side all three together would be more expensive group then lose medals (from dealer's prospective).

Just sad to see something like that!

Timo

We can hope. More likely two into the melting pot, one into the trash. Or. if you're optimistic, one to each child.

Michael

I agree, seen heaps of silver medals (BWM & others) in the 60s & 70s, at dealers' shops. The groups were bought at scrap silver value..., the brass metal was inome! There was no interest in heroes... Run of the mill, it was, and gramps' medals were cashed for a new coat. It was the ignorance of small folk, and the lack of research that brought this to effect.

The suspention bars (I have taken home kilos of these) went to trash, but some may have survived. In other cases families may have cut of the hardware, and left the bar lingering. Who wants bars with ribbons? I still have a lot left...?

Now, it's no use crying over spilled milk, and how sad, or how else.

Facts are facts, and plod on...

Edited by Odulf

Even with the centenary of WWI, the latest Dix Noonan catalogue has many lots of single WWI medals, lumped in sixes and eights and estimated to bring L20-L40, which in some cases may be less than the bullion value. A sad end to the last memorial many of those men have!

At todays silver price of £12.09 per oz a BWM scraps at £14 if it sells at £20 + 20% premium and Vat on premium (total 24 %) that's £24.80-more than £10 over the scrap which for a something where there were 6 million issued is not an absurd base price.

Paul