News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Relic MG 131

Jock Auld

Guys,

New toy today, a relic MG 131 Bord MG.

Painted a horrible black, I will take it back to metal and see what can be done.

Bit of a bend to the coweling and barrel too as you would expect from a pranged plane but not too bad as a wall hanger!

Jock :)

Paul,

Don't know yet.

I will try and prize the information out of him, they can be quite secrative these folk.

There is a visible serial number, is it possible to marry that to an airframe, probably not I would have thought?

Edited by Jock Auld

• 2 weeks later...

Try the dishwasher with some added gunk. Works a treat as it self cleans and the admin staff doesn't notice. Until the filter gets clogged up!

Tip: Keep your eye on the filter and clean out every now and again otherwise you'll be banned from using.

Try the dishwasher with some added gunk. Works a treat as it self cleans and the admin staff doesn't notice. Until the filter gets clogged up!

Tip: Keep your eye on the filter and clean out every now and again otherwise you'll be banned from using.

Wouldn't work here.......

........I am the dishwasher.........! :-(

I shall have another go with more stripper tomorrow, been a bit busy here and there.

Are you serious about the dish washer, I know it works well on all of my porcelain finds but had not considered it for aircraft guns?

Chris you seriously need to get one, I could not live without mine now.

Yep, bits of grimey motorcycle, fish wrapped in tin foil with a couple of eggs (luvly when it comes out) and anything that needs a deep clean (wouldn't be any good with getting paint off). I haven't tried just dug relic helmets yet as I'm a bit nervous as I'm now banned from the dishwasher.

I was caught due to the filter having some 'orrible stuff in it and then cracking a floor tile having dropped a nice clean Harley head that I was inspecting. Damn.

Best thing for paint is the hot gun and/or a hard case stripper (the ones Chris likes)

• 2 weeks later...

Update, having a play since the Easter weather is about right (intermitant down-pours). I have cleaned it up some more, all of the crap paint is gone revealing a lot of rust damage, on a plus side have freed off the top cover and flash eliminator, its coming up quite well. Just treating it now with a bit of 'Hamerite' rust convertor which looks like it will give it a blueblack finish. I will ask one of the armourers if he can spare a bit of the 'parkerising paint we used to use to tart up the rifles with, if they still have it these days.

Happy Easter!

Last update, After a whole day of messing about with it I found an excellent video on youtube (unable to post link for some reason but if you search MG 131 it is the first on their list) of how to strip it down, so after much hammering and knuckle rash it is back together, the paint can wait as it is smothered in rifle oil. I also owe the wife a new wash basin as I cracked it with the feed cover whilst cleaning it. This has proven a costly venture with paint stripper, rust eater and now a wash basin.