News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR Badges

Hello people, I show you a new entry in my collection, three badges of Pilot Cosmonaut first, second and third class ..
    From the little info that I have, the third class was assigned by the Commander of the Air Force for the first space flight
    the second class was assigned by the Ministry of Defense of the USSR for two space flights,
    and the first class was assigned by the Ministry of Defense of the USSR, for three space flights.
    On June 19, 1983, Order No. 161, the Ministry of Defense of the USSR changed this provision.
    The third class was assigned for the first flight in space,
    the second class was assigned for three space flights,
    and the first class was assigned for five space flights and for exemplary performance,
    as conducting missions with particular complexity and long lasting.
    « Знаки классности летчиков-космонавтов СССР »
    Spazio.jpg
    Spazio1.jpg
    Spazio2.jpg
    Spazio3.jpg
    MMD Mintmark
    2_Spazio.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Several years ago, I was shown two or three different sets of these wings. As far as I could tell, they were completely identical - with the exception of the symbolic satellite circling the globe (located just below the star on the flag). As I recall, one was completely round and another was an oval. I have no idea if the difference meant anything, but it was there.

Regards

Hi Sergio,

I can confirm what Mathomas stated about the symbolic satellites, see the images below. Also a further variation on how the class shield is fixed on the reverse.

Regards Eddie

Wow! I've never seen bent over tines on the back of one of these badges! All that I've seen or even owned had plaques that were soldered in place.

Re: my earlier comment about the shape of the "satellite," for comparison's sake, does anyone on the Forum have wings that are known to have been owned or worn by a specific cosmonaut?

As a generic question, since the first cosmonauts did not choose to wear these wings and the most recentcosmonauts are all seen to wear them, who was the first cosmonaut who actually did wear them?

Finally, since I have never seen a cosmonaut wearing an embroidered version of the wings, is it reasonable to assume that the bullion wings are fantasy items?

Regards - and bal’shoye spasibo!