News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tschako, Jg.Btl.Nr.10 ( Hannoversches )

Hello readers.

After many years of searching for a Tschako for this small unit with its unique headgear plate ( bandeau ) I finally found one .

This Tschako belonged to the Hannoversches Jaeger Bataillon Nr.10 ( Rifle Battalion 10) which had its tradition in the former Hanoverian Army going back to the times of the Georges , Kings of Great Britain. Hanover was then an Electorate with the King of England being the Elector. The tunic was also adorned with the cuff title " Gibraltar " in memory of the siege of Gibraltar in the 1780's when Hanoverian units reinforced British troops in the defense of Gibraltar against Spanish and French besieging forces.

After the Prussian won the war against Austria in 1866 with which Hanover was allied after becoming a separate kingdom from England following the Napoleonic era, the Hanoverian Army was absorbed into the Prussian Army.

Emperor Wilhelm II began to mend fences with the population of the former Kingdom of Hanover by granting certain distinctions to those formations which could trace traditions back to the 1780's and later to the Kings German Legion which consisted to a large extent of citizens of Hanover who fled their French occupied homeland to England and then joined the newly formed legion. The Kings German Legion fought with distinction during the campaigns on the Peninsula and later during Napoleon's attempted comeback in 1815 participating in the battle of Waterloo. Wilhelm II granted the Jg.Btl.Nr.10 the renewed cuff title " Gibraltar " and then the Tscako plate including the campaign and battle distinctions Peninsula, Venta del Ponzo and Waterloo.

This battalion during WW I was incorporated into the Alpenkorps and saw action in the battle of Verdun and on the Tyrol and Romanian fronts.

My skills taking photos are minimal, please excuse.

I have a tunic also and will try a picture of it later.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Bernhard,

Do you know if this helmet plate was produced in steel during the war? I'm not sure I remember ever seeing one.

Regards,

Chip

Hello Chip.

I do not recall a steel used. But then I was interested in finding a pre-1914 one because I have such a tunic. I hope to show it some time.

Bernhard H. Holst