News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Jock!

Yes, it´s a boot...

I don´t know, if it´s an allied or a german airplane. The Inf.Rgt.94 belonged to the 38.Inf.Div. (4th army). October 1, the division came into the Cambrai area (Rumilly), where it fought heavy fights. Oct. 16 it came to a quiet area near Courtrai. Maybe the photo was taken there?

I attached a map of the period of oct.22 - nov.19. You´ll find the 38.Inf.Div. near Courtrai

Thanks for that Andy, What I thought was interesting is that it appears to be a photo of a photo, perhaps Unit produced as a souvineer? Also the bloke far left seems to be a bandsman wearing his swallows nests so probably not at the front line? Thanks for the mapping.

Cheers

Jock :)

The airframe is too crumpled up but the tire looks like a Nieuport 17 tire. Although this is a complete guess, we don't have any other significant feature of the aircraft to compare, unfortunately :(

At this point in the war, it was either a regular 17 (which fell victim easily to German aircraft) or a 17bis. Although I'm not sure which squadron was stationed near the fighting at this sector.

In the rear of the photo it looks like the RAF roundel from the wing, it is bent up a bit but in the right section of the photo.

Edited by Rogi

Thanks for that Andy, What I thought was interesting is that it appears to be a photo of a photo, perhaps Unit produced as a souvineer? Also the bloke far left seems to be a bandsman wearing his swallows nests so probably not at the front line? Thanks for the mapping.

Cheers

Hi Jock! The swallows were not rare. They wore it during the fights too. When they didn´t play music, the could be in action with their uniforms

Rogi I had not seen the roundal thanks for that, I think it is time for glasses!

Andy, didn'y know that they wore them into action, I just assumed they wouldn't want bright objects framing their head, you really do learn something new every day!

Cheers

I've played with the picture a bit

Looks like more than a boot to me. The roundel is easily seen as well.

I like that the bloke in the middle took his hat off so that his mum would know which one was him.

Edited by Spasm