News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dating a Turkish Nichan Iftikar. Help requested.

Veteran

Hello everyone

It seems badges of this order were awarded between 1831 ane 1861, when the order of Medjidje was created.

Some sources mention later awards

I understant the center part of the badge shows the "tugra" of the reigning Sultan at the time of issue. Could this badge be dated in this way ?

Every bit of information will be gratefullyr received.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hi,

As far as I know, during Sultan Mahmud II 1223-1255 (1808-1839) specially designed orders had been awarded to army and civilians, these specially designed/made orders had also been given to foreigners. These orders were specially designed (Nishan-ı Zishan, they also had other names) for every civilian position and every rank (by seeing this order you could have understood the rank) and also specially designed for some important military, civilian, foreign and domestic persons. But this system had been stopped during the reign of Abdülmecid 1255-1277 (1839-1861) and one type Order (1839) (Iftihar Nishanı - Order of Pride/Glory---- Nisan: Order - "s" has a dot under it (sh) ) had been awarded high ranking civilian and military personnel, but Sultan Abdülmecid still awarded some specially designed orders to special domestic and foreign persons like the old times.

IMHO this sample is awarded during Sultan Abdulmecid's reign as you say 1839-1861, because tugra bears his pseudonym (mahlas) flower.

Regards

Demir

Edited by demir

Thank you very much, Demir, for your kind help. This is exactly what I needed.

I understand badges given to Turkish recipients were recalled and exchanged, badges awarded to foreign recipients only were retained. This would explain why ther are scarce.

Two other badges have been seen recently in Paris;

One is shown as part of the outstanding SPADA collction housed in the Legion of honor Museum. It is distincly smaller then this one and the tugra is difficult to read through the glass cover protecting it;

The other was offered for sale at an aucion also in Paris last January.

The badge was slightly smaller and I think the tugra could possibly be different. I wonder if you could help on this one too.

With my very grateful regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Hi,

The tugra and pseudonym belongs to Sultan Mahmud II 1223-1255 (1808-1839).

I checked Mr. Erüreten's book Ottoman Medals and Orders pages:38-138 (a copy of an old book which show the designs of the orders given) but couldn't find a similar one. So it may not belong to a high ranking Ottoman civilian because there is no similar drawing shown in the old book (also not military because they have their class insignia/symbols instead of tugra) but (just guessing) probably a foreign dignitary or a lower ranking embassy personnel not ambassador. (Ambassadors have a wreath under the tugra)

Best wishes

Demir

Edited by demir

This badge was lot n°173 in the January 2014 auction sale at Drouot's in Paris, Beaussant-Lefevre being the aucionneers.

According to the results published by the firm after the sale, this particular early badge was auctionned at 16.000 €uro (20.000 €uro with costs and taxes).

I hope this answers your question.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

Here is another lovely piece, from Sultan Abdulmecid period. It is also said that a similar one has been given to British Ambassador Sir Henry Layard's wife, before that it have been awarded to women who helped victims of war and disasters. I thing it was during his first term in Istanbul as an attache because of the dates he served in Istanbul.

Regards

Demir

• 8 months later...

Hello Demir,

A Nitchan Iftikar badge similar to the first one I showed will be sold at auction on Feb.4 in Paris. A catalogue is available and the lots are described on the auctioneers' website (Beaussant-Lefevre). This piece is lot n°195.

Best regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran