News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An old war horse....

Chris Boonzaier

Even after an exhaustive web search... I still couldn't find a photo of the esteemed general wearing "ALL" of his gongs... He doesn't even bother to pin on his Croix du combattant... Hmmmmm... Any particular reason why he's never seen wearing his numerous campaign medals?

They get too heavy on the chest maybe? :D Or he is just humble I think, maybe doesn't want to bring everything and only chooses certain ones for special occasions.

I would think Rogi is partially right

In addition to the Grand Cross of the Legion of honor, he restricted the awards displayed to what he considered the more significant ; the two crox de guerre (1939 2/3 mentions in dispaches MID, TOE for Indochina 8 MID) + the Cross for military valour (10 MIDs° along with the Woundeds' badge with 4/5 combat wounds.

Considering such set of awards, the combattant's cross would be redundant. The french custom of wearing long enough ribbons to accomodate the stars and palms which go with each cross, added to régulations limiting the number of awards on a same line to four.

Any other display would have looked rather messy.

This old warrior makes a striking picture.

Hope these few remarks will help.

I would've never guessed. First time I see this award.

He must've truly valued this particular award, wearing it in lieu of other French gongs.

Edited by TacHel