News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chinese 1914 - 1918 medal

j-sk

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have recently bought the following WW1 Chinese medal (see pictures in attachment).

.... BUT I am not too sure about the ribbon though... !

I gather it should be the usual 5-striped-Chinese-flag-like ribbon (black-white-blue-yellow-red).

Could anyone of you confirm?

Regarding this ribbon, does anyone know which medal it is related to?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

I frankly do not know. Since China did not take an active part in WW1, I could only guess that its ruler actually issued this medal on the same basis as Governement of Panama issued the Solidaridad medal... But this is just my guess...

By the way, does anyone of you know where I could buy the "correct" ribbon or who is likely to sell one ? Even a modern issue would do the job...

Hi

It was created in November 1918 to celebrate the Allied victory. According to A. Laslo, its greatest abundance occurs in Beijing on November 28, 1918, during a ceremony commemorating the armistice (the Forbidden City '). Attributed to a very limited number of employees, military and civilian, (diplomats) Chinese or foreign, is one of the rarest medals on this topic.

Lambert

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have recently bought the following WW1 Chinese medal (see pictures in attachment).

.... BUT I am not too sure about the ribbon though... !

I gather it should be the usual 5-striped-Chinese-flag-like ribbon (black-white-blue-yellow-red).

Could anyone of you confirm?

Regarding this ribbon, does anyone know which medal it is related to?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

Rare ... very rare.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Lambert
    Edited by lambert

Yes, thank you Lambert for your information.

Let's hope other people will bring their own bits and pieces of valuable infos to complete this still scatered jigsaw ...

Post tenebras lux.

Thanks Lambert for the info.

I'm pretty sure reproduction or even genuine ribbons (they were used for many medals during the Early Republic period) are readily available in China and may appear from time to time on ebay.

You are quite right about the ribbon.

By the way, here are two of my "Wu Peï Fu" medals, with matching original ribbons.

Although looking globally similar to your medal (see #18), how many different types and models of these were made...?

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.

Edited by j-sk

Thanks JapanX for the tip!

I'll do my best to get that Hungarian medal... even though I am only a mere amateur in chess !

I'll play chess with you for the medal you keep the ribbon. :cheeky:

That's nice to find a matching ribbon and this one would really look good on the medal.

IMO I prefer my medals to have ribbons on them. Original if possible, but repros if necessary.

Edited by Claudius

Fair enough: you get the medal and I keep the ribbon... provided we split the costs in two ;-)

Unless someone turns up with an original one in the mean-time...