News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of my recent acquisitions. Liverpool River Police white metal badge. The badge has double holes for stitching it onto a tunic. A very rare badge of a police force which existed only between 1864 and 1920. Available for swapping for anything Welsh that I do not have in my collection.

Hi - Ross. My apologies that no-one has answered this interesting post. I have never heard of this unit - although it stands to

reason that Liverpool would have a Harbour Unit. I can't think of his name off hand - used to live in Chelmsford. He and a

colleague worked out just how many small police forces , harbour police and canal police had existed before 1829. Ran into the hundreds.

With the two holes for stitching, I am assuming that this was a collar badge ?

Ross - seeing this has reminded me of the Vic. helmet. I'll get someone to look it out so that it can be sent.

Best wishes Mervyn. ps. Let us know about other pieces that have come-in to your collection.

Hi - Ross. My apologies that no-one has answered this interesting post. I have never heard of this unit - although it stands to

reason that Liverpool would have a Harbour Unit. I can't think of his name off hand - used to live in Chelmsford. He and a

colleague worked out just how many small police forces , harbour police and canal police had existed before 1829. Ran into the hundreds.

With the two holes for stitching, I am assuming that this was a collar badge ?

Ross - seeing this has reminded me of the Vic. helmet. I'll get someone to look it out so that it can be sent.

Best wishes Mervyn. ps. Let us know about other pieces that have come-in to your collection.

Mervyn,

Just to clarify. The Mersey River Police were not a "stand alone" police force. They were a division of the Liverpool City Police and were administered along similar lines to the Thames River Police which were and are an integral part of the Metropolitan Police. They were all members of the Liverpool City Police who were posted for duty on the River Mersey. That said, rather unusually they were provided with their own distinctive cap and collar badges. The collar badges in my collection have loop/lug fittings on the reverse and are also drilled as per the photo. The individual whose name escapes you is Reg Hale (now deceased) and he lived in Cheltenham.

Dave.

Thankyou for that information Dave. Were they a big Division ? Thankyou for reminding me of Reg's name - I used to correspond

and chat with him on the phone. He was a mine of info. - do you know if he ever published his listing of Forces before 1829 ?

Best wishes Mervyn

Mervyn,

The Mersey River Police ceased to exist on 15th February 1920 and at that time the strength was 1 Superintendent, 3 Coxwains and 14 Constables. The displaced men were absorbed into the land divisions of the City Police. With regard to Reg Hale's research, yes he did privately produce a 43 page book which gave details of his discovered non-Home Office police forces which had existed since 1829. He was kind enough to send me a copy (which I still have). Unfortunately it is not dated but from recollection it must have been sent to me about 15 years ago.

Best wishes, Dave.

I only spoke a few times with Reg....but as you rightly point out, an absolute mine of information. Many years ago, I picked up a decorated truncheon to the River Don Police......which I had never heard of. He gave me a full account of history of that small force, which was absorbed into a railway company in 1850.