News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old leather! Possible female military shoes?

Guys,

These are from about a month back but I have just got some time to rake through them as I am on holiday.

I know they are very poor condition wise but I can't help myself, I guess I have an issue? I couldn't let them burn!

Could the high heel version be RAD or hilferien type shoes?

I am certian they are of the period.

Regardless one complet pair of jackboots is ok!

Jock :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a real mixed bag there, Jock. They're all machine sewn, at a quick look, and at least one has rubber heels and [added] half soles, which puts at least the repairs at post 1900 and probably several decades later. Toe shape isn't a very reliable indicator that late. The low shoes with the parallel lacing are a puzzle, as that lacinf style is often associated with post WWI military boots but I'm pretty certain no servicemen were wearing that style low shoe in leather by then - there was an early 'trainer' style but in canvas as early as 1914. The boots are standard riding boots so, again, not necessarily military. Ankle boots should have separate toe caps as well, if military and I don't like the eyelets for issue boots either. Not as up on the female issue but the styles should mirror the male kit more closely than I think these do. Ill check some of my sources and see what else i can find.

Any and all military footwear should have had a plethora of stamps - on the insoles, inside the tongue and on the inside of the ankles: sizes, dates and the usual acceptance marks, so look for any sign of those. A very interesting lot whatever they are!

Peter,

For sure a bit of a mixed bag. I was happy with the 'riding' boots as they have the wood tacks and steel heel which is common on WW2 period boots anything else is a bonus. Sadly I could not find the second boot from another pair, it had already been scooped up by the digger. I think they came from a barn judging by the straw and horse yokes etc that was with them. There are a lot of running repairs on them all which again leads me to think WW2 period but used post war during that period of 'austerity' the Germans suffered. It was the pair with the slightly higher heel (second to last pic) that I thought could perhaps be female RAD or the likes? My reconing is that they are solidly made but lack any sort of fashionable aspects that you know the women like? The rest just an interesting study of the times?

Jock :)