News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Füsilier Regiment 73 : Leutnant Fritz Haverkamp

Hello Chris.

A Lt.Haverkamp is not listed in the 1914-1918 regimental history's several rank lists contained in the book. Also not in the lists of those officers detached to other units ( kommandiert)..The book does not have an index, as is oftentimes the case

He did serve in this , the Fus.Rgt.73 without a doubt? The Ehren Rangliste lists only one Haverkamp who served as Lt. in the 3rd Bavarian Inf.Rgt., survived and served as Hptm. in the Reichswehr.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi,

He was in the RIR78 and Füsilier Regiment 73

Ernst Jünger mentions him in the chapter "Return to Flanders" in Storm of Steel

Mein Rückweg wurde durch unangenehmes, nach faulen Äpfeln riechendes
    Reizgas englischer Granaten, das sich im Boden festgesogen hatte und die
    Augen tränen machte, erschwert. Gleich darauf sollte ich einen
    schmerzlicheren Grund zum Vergießen von Tränen bekommen. Nachdem ich im
    Gefechtsstande meine Meldung erstattet hatte, begegnete ich kurz vorm
    Verbandsplatze Kalve den Bahren zweier befreundeter, schwer verwundeter
    Offiziere. Der eine war Leutnant Zürn, den wir zwei Abende zuvor in
    fröhlichem Kreise gefeiert hatten. Jetzt lag er, halb entkleidet, mit jener
    wachsgelben Gesichtsfarbe, die ein sicheres Vorzeichen des Todes ist, auf
    einer losgerissenen Tür und sah mich mit stieren Augen an, als ich
    herantrat, um ihm die Hand zu drücken. Dem anderen, Leutnant Haverkamp,
    waren Arm- und Beinknochen durch Granatsplitter so zerschmettert, daß eine
    Amputation sehr wahrscheinlich war. Er lag totenblaß mit in Fatalismus
    versteinerten Zügen auf seiner Bahre und rauchte eine Zigarette.

Wir hatten in diesen Tagen wieder erschreckende Verluste an jungen
    Offizieren aufzuweisen. Jedesmal, wenn ich heute das abfällige Urteil der
    Masse über den Kriegsleutnant höre, muß ich an diese Männer denken, die den
    alten Preußengeist von Pflicht und Ehre, den Geist von Kolin, hinaustrugen
    in Blut und Schlamm, aufrecht bis zum bitteren Ende.

Hello Chris.

i found only one mention of Lt.d.Res. Haverkamp as having been wounded during the late October combats in Flanders. I followed your excerpt of E.Juenger's book "Storm of Steel". Lt.Zuern did indeed not survive. He died the next day. No company is listed for Lt.Haverkamp.

Bernhard H. Holst

Chris,

It is indeed a small world. In late June, I exchanged e-mails with a German collector who was considering purchasing items attributed to this Leutn. Haverkamp (to include a GIBRALTAR sleeveband and decorations). There was a letter describing him and his mention in Jünger's book.

What I discovered then was that there was an Offizier-Aspirant des Beurlaubtenstandes Haverkamp (von Landwehr Bezirk Bremen) who was promoted Leutn.d.R. d. Inf. R. 75 on 22.05.1915. I believe this is the man in question even though it appears he never was assigned to FR 73.

Andy

Edited by arb

Chris,

It is indeed a small world. In late June, I exchanged e-mails with a German collector who was considering purchasing items attributed to this Leutn. Haverkamp (to include a GIBRALTAR sleeveband and decorations). There was a letter describing him and his mention in Jünger's book.

What I discovered then was that there was an Offizier-Aspirant des Beurlaubtenstandes Haverkamp (von Landwehr Bezirk Bremen) who was promoted Leutn.d.R. d. Inf. R. 75 on 22.05.1915. I believe this is the man in question even though it appears he never was assigned to FR 73.

Andy

Indeed... that small the world is ;-)

I am guessing he must have somehow made it into the 73rd? The mention in the Jünger book could arguably be refering to two officers he knew, but were not in his unit, but if Bernhard has found them in the regimental history it seems to confirm he was there, if even for a short while...

and I have... did not know I had it....

In this one a few months earler, haverkamp and another officer come out of the rest area, somewhat drunk, and announce they have decided to go on a patrol. There is lively shooting in sector and Jünger reports that the Patrol consited of then going out to fetch parachute flare silk and engage in a game of catch around the obstacles in front of the French lines while the French shot at them. After a long while they entered their own lines safe and sound. Jünger comments that they had been protected by Bacchus... or the English Version... "God looks after drunks and small children"

I do not understand why Germany ever issued a Gibralter sleeve band ? They were never active - to my knowledge -

in this area. Other then when HMS Hood gave help to the German Battleship bombed by the airforce loyal to the

Spanish King , but this was in 1938. Mervyn

I do not understand why Germany ever issued a Gibralter sleeve band ? They were never active - to my knowledge -

in this area. Other then when HMS Hood gave help to the German Battleship bombed by the airforce loyal to the

Spanish King , but this was in 1938. Mervyn

To free up British troops for service in the rebellious American colonies, George III of England, also known as Kurfürst Georg III. von Hannover, sent 5 battalions of Hannoverian troops to Gibraltar and Minorca in 1775. Three went to Gibraltar and two to Minorca. When Spain went to war with England in 1779, the Hannoverians defended Gibraltar from a Spanish siege and French/Spanish naval blockade, successfully holding out for three years and seven months. Minorca was not as lucky. A surprise landing of Spanish troops in 1781 led by the French general in Spanish service Louis de Crillon, duc de Mahon, led to a shorter siege which ended with an epidemic and the surrender of the garrison in February 1782.

George III awarded the Gibraltar title. Wilhelm II renewed it in 1901 for Hannoverian units in the Prussian Army which carried the traditions of those troops which defended Gibraltar.

• 4 months later...
    A work that includes notes from Jünger adds a bit to this....

Dem anderen, Leutnant Haverkamp,waren Arm- und Beinknochen durch Granatsplitter so zerschmettert, daß eine
    Amputation sehr wahrscheinlich war. Er lag totenblaß mit in Fatalismus versteinerten Zügen auf seiner Bahre und rauchte eine Zigarette.

Changed to

und rauchte Zigaretten, die er sich von seinen Trägern entzunden und in den Mund Stecken ließ.

• 6 months later...