News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Takovo Grand Cross- Research Journey

Just wishing to share the story of my Order of Takovo Grand Cross set and it's research journey.

The Order of Takovo Grand Cross set that I own is made by the producer Karl Fischmeister (Vienna). This would place the date of this set in time frame between 1890 to 1903.

Here is the full set:

DSCN7851_zps63d74908.jpg

Sash Badge front:

DSCN9400_zpsf0e774e2.jpg

Sash Badge Reverse:

DSCN7856_zps096ac1ea.jpg

Breast Badge:

DSCN7859_zps4fd4fe3c.jpg

I found two inscriptions in Japanese (my friend translated the Japanese and helped a lot in research :) :

On the Little Rosette Box:

DSCN7879_zps2b0cf818.jpg

"セルビヤ" written in Japanese Katakana letters

It can be read "Serubiya" and means "Serbia

Here is the Rosette next to the Sash badge,

DSCN7862_zpsb91c7de1.jpg

and inside the sash is sewn:

DSCN7878_zpsea938531.jpg

"塞耳織 ダコヴオ 第一等"

"塞耳織" means "Close Ear Weave"

"ダコヴオ" can be read "Da Ko Vo", it means Takovo.

"第一等" means "First Class"

This research journey initially started in attempt to translate inscriptions that came with the order, but very easily expanded with every new discovery.

From Prince Yorihito's biography,

In 1894, Prince Yorihito was on a Royal tour of Serbia with his advisors. They were awarded Serbian Orders. The Prince himself received the Order of the White Eagle. The awarding ceremony took place at the Hotel "Serbian Crown" in Belgrade at 1:00pm on March 18th, 1894.

My friend told me that, in that time in Japan, in order to be allowed to wear foreign Orders, recipients themselves had to write request to the Emperor. It was considered disrespectful if the request wasn't written by recipient.

From searching JACAR (Japan Center for Asian Historical Records) and with the help of my friend we were able to find 3 recipients who received the Order of Takovo Grand Cross within this time period: Count Hisamoto Hijikata, Count Munemitsu Mutsu and Mr. Shogo Nagasaki

Here are the names and reference codes as follows (found in JACAR):

宮内大臣秘書官兼式部官小松宮家令長崎省吾セルビヤ国勲章佩用允許ノ件

Shogo Nagasaki's Request for Ratification of Decorations of the Serbian First Class Order of Takovo

Reference Code: A10112443300

外務大臣伯爵陸奥宗光塞耳淮国タコヴァ十字第一等勲章受領及佩用ノ件

Munemitsu Mutsu's Request for Ratification of Decorations of the Serbian First Class Order of Takovo

Reference Code: A10112447700

宮内大臣伯爵土方久元塞耳維国タコヴァ第一等勲章受領及佩用ノ件

Hisamoto Hijikata's Request for Ratification of Decorations of the Serbian First Class Order of Takovo

Reference Code: A10112448100

Among the 3 recipients, only Count Hisamoto Hijikata's writing style matches to the writing style on my set. When we compared the "Serbia" in his request form (Page 3), we found that it contains the same type of letters, called "Katakana" that was used only by highly educated people in Japan in that time period.

Fellow collectors have advised me that, in Japan of that time, recipient was the one who would write on the rosette box of an order or medal.

( I will only post the 3rd page of the request form and zoom ins of the writing)

HIJIKATA3_zpsb112340b.png

Zoom in of the writing:

ZOOM1_zpsb632425b.png

#2 Closer Zoom of the same writing:

ZOOM15_zps13daf6ed.png

and final clue in the research, from couple months ago,

I was told by a representative from the Auction House, that originally sold this Order of Takovo that this order is from Mr. Nakabori's collection. (Mr. Nakabori was a rice merchant who in the 1950s when money became tight for Japanese noble families, went from one to another noble family and purchased all orders and medals from the people willing to sell. He owned Admiral Togo's entire collection)

I think that this makes good supporting evidence that the order could be the one awarded to Count Hisamoto Hijikata. I am very grateful to all friends and colleagues that contributed to and made the research journey of this order such an enjoyable experience. I am always looking to expand and further evidence and research. Your comments are welcome.

Hello Rogi my friend!!

This is a extraordinary find!! Remarkable fusion of Serbia and Japan :) The order itself is in flawless condition!! You owe us a fine picture of the reverse of the star, so We can enjoy the full beauty of the order!! :D

Great effort You took to find out the recipient of the order!! Respect!!

Keep o the good work Rogi!! Where did You find this gem?

Best

Joeph

Hello Rogi my friend!!

This is a extraordinary find!! Remarkable fusion of Serbia and Japan :) The order itself is in flawless condition!! You owe us a fine picture of the reverse of the star, so We can enjoy the full beauty of the order!! :D

Great effort You took to find out the recipient of the order!! Respect!!

Keep o the good work Rogi!! Where did You find this gem?

Best

Joeph

Thank you for the comments my friend :) greatly appreciated :) It was a gift from the family.

Edited by Rogi

Great research! Congratulations!

I often find that the research part of our hobby is as challenging and enjoyable as the collecting :)

/Michael

Thank you Dragomir and Michael :) for your comments :) really glad that this beauty joined my collection :)

Fully agree there Michael :) it is so rewarding when history of these orders and recipients can be found :) it brings me great joy to find and explore the history behind them.

Edited by Rogi

This piece originally appeared at a Morton and Eden on 29 November 2012,along with another similar set also by Flieschhacker, one was in an Antonovich case, the other in a Popovich Brothers case of issue. They both originated from a famous Japanese collector, a rice merchant whose collection was formed after the war and was late published in the 1950's by the collector, one set sold and Igor's set was subsequently re-offered on the 2 July 2013 where it found a buyer and from thence to Igor. I am very impressed by the research he has put in, alas when preparing an auction catalogue one can only research to a certain extent as there is always a deadline which creeps up at a much faster rate than expected, so I am especially impressed by Igor's tenacity.

All the best,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

First, I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments and contributions to the thread :) it is greatly appreciated :)

Serbman, welcome to the forum :) and

The first photo is Prince Iesato Tokugawa there is another photo of him wearing the Order of The White Eagle,

2nd is General Kusunose Yukihiko, he received the Order of Takovo 3rd Class while attending that trip with Prince Yorihito, I have the document request somewhere here as well :D will post when I dig it out

Here is a link that was started a while ago to the recipients mentioned ;) there is 1 or 2 more recipients that I've found since, but havn't been able to access free photos to share them with the forum :)

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60560-order-of-takovo-recipients-japan/

Edited by Rogi

• 1 year later...

Hi!

What a wonderfull story. I think you're one of the few who can know to who the order was given too. A lust to read the story for colleague-collectors and historici.

PS: My birthday is in a few months, I'll wink to my family... :P

• 1 month later...

Thank you Rush for the kind words :)

I've done a bit more research and will be posting some more pictures of Count Hisamoto Hijikata and of his family :) that I've found online.

Here is his household residence ( I believe this was the family's home, but I have to do more research on the residence to confirm)

1.png.14a155f056a1cbb2aa1367b5371d380a.p

I believe it still exists but I'm having a fairly hard time finding a recent photo of it :D

Count Hisamoto Hijikata, this is one of the more widely available images online in full uniform:
    3.png.2855ea4f4a9baa3aaedcd0c6e489ee1d.p

And in civillian attire:

2.png.fee82c58669ff069aca034ac6f8f2e63.p

This one I've only found 1 picture of him, fairly small

po_hizikata.gif.5491458b8ab12df473d4d378

And finally for today (will post some more when I get time) this is the most perplexing image that I've come across, it is only available off a Japanese only picture seller (ip address has to originate from Japan to be able to access it) if anyone has a clearer image of this picture, or Japan IP, please pm me, as I'd really like to see the full clear image. I think the Order of Takovo is on his uniform, but because of the blurry picture I can't make it out for sure.

images1.jpg.25e5b8a0cbaa61f94106e823c532

Edited by Rogi

I'm still amazed with amount of information you were able to dig up based on handwriting!
    I think there's a strong possibility that the order on the right just bellow the sash is the Order of the Cross of Takovo!

Getting larger image would be great!

01.JPG.9b3be835ce40a6abaf058241c3abaead.

Thank you all for your comments and help :) I've taken it a bit easier on posting some of the last remaining photos as I don't want to mix up Count Hisamoto Hijikata and his relatives there are some photos that look like they reference the Count, but in fact it is his relative.

Paja, it indeed looks like the Order of Takovo, if only the picture was a bit bigger and in focus :)  we could have a better look.

Rush, thank you I hope I can add much more information in the future :)

serbman, thank you for posting this picture :) it is his most famous and his orders are shown in good detail here, I was hesitant in posting it as I was able to find a larger one a couple months ago, but when I went back to find it I had lost it :( if I re-find it then I'll make the post. Here is another very similar shot:

1.jpg.ede7731c2682d897cd9c49105c76f812.j

Here are some additional photos:

Again another one that doesn't have a clearer or larger image :( it would have been nice to see this one in a larger photo as it appears that most of his orders are visible in the picture.

HIJIKATA2.jpg.fa4d2bf77e78452d11508a7b72

These ones although very little I like a lot,

1909 meeting, Count Hijikata is in the middle, seated.

MEETING2.png.1b6e0b62a8414fd7982f442d3be

October 13, 1915- Visit to Ushiku Vineyard.

Small

1915-1.jpg.95bdc71c60c10dd71dc853b7231a3

and Large versions found online:

1915-3.jpg.da7cd0ba467071d18924a768307b1

October 13, 1915:

1915-2.jpg.7bc35968923df70db23e7d2e25cc0

and last one for today, this is credited as Hisamoto Hijikata and only found on two locations online that I've seen, it does look like him to me although not 100% certain :

4.jpg.60b11e233db1d84d902104e7dce31a53.j

In the next couple days I'll try to post some more of his photos and his family, thank you all for looking :)

Edited by Rogi

Two Photos Of Count Hisamoto Hijikata when he was younger,

first as Viscount, there is writing in non-Japanese (maybe English?) on the bottom, from what I can make out it reads:

"Viscount Hijikata, Minister.....(can't make out the rest)"

ViscountHisamotoHijikata.thumb.jpg.88312

and another very similar pose:

11.png.07a64e782693915705504112be029e65.

and another very prominent photo, as it is found on most sites that share his biography. Photo is credited from 1899, from information provided his Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun was bestowed in October 25, 1887.

Hijikata_Hisamoto_2.thumb.jpg.31a99549e9

I will stop here for today, I'm still trying to make out the family's history and translate the information into English, but I'll make a post with Count Hijikata's history soon. Thank you all for looking.

Edited by Rogi