News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coast Guard Medal Bar- Three Wars- Rare Medal- Named

Paul R

I want to share with you my newly arrived Coast Guard medal bar to Captain R. W. Goode. He was a veteran who saw much time overseas during WW2, as well as service during the Korean and Vietnam War eras. There are three things that make this medal bar special.

1- The seldom seen first pattern Coast Guard Commendation Medal.

2- The fact that this medal is also named.

3- The medal is mounted as part of an entire group, not just a separate part.

I hope that you all like it.

Thanks guys! The Coast Guard Commendation began as a ribbon only award in 1947. The medal came out a while later, changing over to the current pattern in 1968. Despite the change of design, the Coast Guard kept using the first pattern version until stocks were completed. Captain Goode received this medal in 1972. He retired in 1974, after 30 years of service(excluding Academy time).

I have that WW2 book as well. The Coast Guard members who received the Navy Commendation Ribbon are listed. This award was created in 1944.

Thanks Lukasz,

Here is my full sized version, complete with citation and press photo.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/61434-first-pattern-coast-guard-commendation-medal-with-citation-beyond-rare/?hl=%2Bcoast+%2Bguard

I found this at my local flea market last weekend for a buck. He ended up getting nothing, despite saving Manhattan. The story was written up in Life magazine in 1945. Leo died alone and forgotten in 1986. sad.

Edited by Ulsterman

Nice. A predecessor for what is now the Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon. There was no wearable ribbon or medal for this citation back then. The ribbon came out in March of 1979. Super cool document! Is this the original citation, with original signature? I will give you two dollars for it now(LOL)! Super desirable, by me anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...