News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Canadian Highlanders Uniforms?

Hi,

does anyone know if the 48th Highlanders of Canada wore kilts in WW1? If they did, would they have worn them while on leave aswell?

Reason i am asking is i have a photo of my Great-Grandad with 3 Canadian soldiers who are on leave in Scotland. All 3 are dressed in khaki trousers not kilts. I am trying to eliminate a newspaper notice of 3 men from 48th Highlanders coming to our hometown on a visit, who are not related to us. We have always been told the men in photo are our relations.

I am having PC trouble so cant scan photo to show you. But one man is wearing straight legged trousers, general service hat with maple leaf badge and collar dogs, he has 1 Good Conduct chevron left sleeve.

2nd & 3rd man dressed similarly wearing puttees up to shins, "squashed" field service caps and ammo bandoliers over their shoulders. Both have maple leaf collar dogs but a badge that looks a bit like Royal Engineers (indistinct in photo - poss wreath with bit at top?). Both also have crossed flags on left sleave - assume they are Signallers.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Smithy

Originally posted this in S.African board - somehow?? Mods havent moved it yet so restarted.

Edited by Smith

Smithy

The 48th did wear their kilts - in the trenches with khaki aprons and on leave without. The 48th had their own cap and collar badges and because they existed pre-WWI [from 1891] would likely have had those to issue to all recruits, unlike some of the war raised units, which often issued the general issue maple leaf badge at first. The 48th badge - above - looks quite unlike the maple leaf badges.

Also, the two men with the bandoleers are unlikely to be infantry, as that pattern equipment was most often issued to mounted rifles, cavalry and gunners and possibly Signals members too. Not sure about that last. I also think the man in the center may be wearing riding boots under his puttees, which would suggest cavalry or field artillery. So, these may not be your relatives. Sorry!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

Peter,

thanks for the reply. I had similar ideas to you, in that the two guys with bandoliers looked like British Yeomanry to me, the maple leaf collar badges obviously knocks that out. Canadian Mounted Rifles sounds plausible.

Maybe i didn't explain myself very well, I am back to original I.D. of this photo - these 3 are now more likely to be my relations, the newspaper report is about 3 men from the town not related to me, 48th Highlanders who also came to visit. So i can now rule that article out.

Thanks for your time. If anyone else has any more details on the guys in the photos regiment etc. it would be great.

Cheers,

Smithy