News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver war badge 437588

Hello friends,

I get this silver war badge with no, 437588. I came with this kind of a miniature medal group.

Do you think we get the name behind this little nice group?

Greetings from Germany

Michael

Edited by MichaW

Hi MIchael,

Details of the person awarded Silver War Badge:

Name: Walter Cole; Discharge Unit: A. S. C. E. F. C.; Regiment: Army Service Corps; Regimental Number: S2/015097; Rank: A/Sgt.; Badge Number: 437588; Piece: 3216; List Number: RASC 2501-2750 ; Record Group: WO; Record Class: 329

Hope this helps,

Bill

Edited by Bilco

Hello Bill,

thx for the fast replay.

I check in the National Archives with Regimental Number: S2/015097 the information. But there is with this no. a Pte Harold Houghton listed?

Micha

Hi Micha,

Very strange. In the Medal Rolls this man comes up with this number, but not in the WW1 Soldiers Records. He seems to have been awarded the Military Medal, from the group of miniatures, so that should be recorded somewhere. I'll keep looking and let you know what comes up!

Bill

I had quite a good trawl through the Gazette and was unable to find any awards for a W. Cole of the ASC (Both the MM and MSM should be gazetted). I am wondering if the War badge and minis are necessarily related, although I do know the gazette can be somewhat quirky.

Paul

Ancestry certainly shows the last two numbers reversed between the SWB and MIC lists. On his pension records (also with Ancestry) the original shows S2/015079, so it look like the SWB list is wrong - the original, not just the transcription. However, I can't turn up any other service record on Ancestry for either service number.

I agree, from his pension records, it seems very unlikely that the medal group belongs to him.

Bill

Hello Friends,

thaks yor your suppert. It is the first time that I research GB medal groups.

Now I get the information from National Archives, but what kind of information is in this cards?

greetings from Germany

Michael

Hi MIchael,

The left-hand card is relates to a different Walter Cole, who served in the Labour Corps with the service number 436730. The right-hand card is rhe Medal Index Card for the Walter Cole who was also awarded the Silver War Badge, and it lists the medals he was entitled to - the Victory Medal, British War Medal and 1914-15 Star. Top right is this Walter Cole's service number - S2/ 015079.

Bill

The card on the left is for the issue of the silver war badge upon discharge however, the one shown appears to be for the wrong man.

If you look at the medal index card it notes 'List ASC/2650' which is the correct SWB list page for your Walter Cole.

The medal card shows he received the Victory Medal, British War Medal and 1914-15 Star.

Under 'Roll' is the page number in the medal rolls confirming his entitlement

Under Remarks is just a note saying discharged

SWB List ASC/2650 is the page showing he was issued with the silver war badge (see attached)

Theatre of war first served in was France which had the numerical code (1)

He arrived in France on 19/12/14

At the top of the medal card it says RASC, the Army Service Corps became the Royal Army Service Corps towards the end of November 1918.

On Walter Cole's pension record it says he was discharged due to varicose veins and exzema, he was a pre-war baker who volunteered in Sept. 1914 and landed in France 3 months later and after spending almost a year in France he returned to the UK for the rest of the war.

Tony