News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal Question

Hi all,

I bought a Victory Medal thats giving me some thoughts .....

Instead of the usual Number and Rgt it only says 2.Lieut W Mancer ??

I cant find any Mancer at Ancestry .....

Could anyone help me on this one , is that unusual to be without Rgt No , or is he from some other part of the

Empire ??

Christer

Christer, officers' medals were inscribed only with Rank and Name. They do not include a regiment nor a number.

A search of the UK Archives site for Medal Index Cards turns up 17 men with the last name Mancer. Only one with initial "W" who was an officer:

Medal card of Mancer, William

Manchester Regiment 17419 Serjeant

Manchester Regiment Second Lieutenant

Manchester Regiment Lieutenant

While it's not 100% certain, this is probably your man.

Link to the UK Archive page

Edited by IrishGunner

Aha , Thanks Irish Gunner :jumping:

I learn something every day .

And after a little searching I found the war diary of 20 th Btl Manchester Rgt , They were at Somme July 1st 1916....

of 20 officers and about 630 soldiers they lost 15 officers and 310 soldiers in 5 days......

Totally madness

Christer

Edited by christerd

It certainly sounds like him.

Entered France in Nov. 1915 so entitled to a 14-15 trio. I imagine 'Dis. to Comm. 26/2/18' means he was commissioned on that date.

His medal card says he was 20 Bn. however, it's mentioned on the reverse that the nominal roll for officers was forwarded by the OC 1/8th Bn. Manchester Regt.

Christer, if you'd like a copy of his MIC please PM me your email address.

Tony

Aha , Thanks Irish Gunner :jumping:

I learn something every day .

And after a little searching I found the war diary of 20 th Btl Manchester Rgt , They were at Somme July 1st 1916....

of 20 officers and about 630 soldiers they lost 15 officers and 310 soldiers in 5 days......

Totally madness

Christer

Nice to get some history behind the medal. :P

Careful, you'll get hooked and buy more Vics. :whistle:

It certainly sounds like him.

Entered France in Nov. 1915 so entitled to a 14-15 trio. I imagine 'Dis. to Comm. 26/2/18' means he was commissioned on that date.

His medal card says he was 20 Bn. however, it's mentioned on the reverse that the nominal roll for officers was forwarded by the OC 1/8th Bn. Manchester Regt.

Christer, if you'd like a copy of his MIC please PM me your email address.

Tony

:blush: And I was reading through the 20th Btl war diarys and couldnt find anything about a 2nd Lieut Mancer ......

Thats explains it , he was probably moved to 1/8 Btl in Feb 1918 when becoming a Off ?

Big Thank you Tony , now I have some more reading to do in the extreme heat here in Sweden + 30 C for two weeks now almost :)

And since I´m already hooked on Vic medals :love: I have an acoount on Ancestry , but thanks for the offer Tony and again a big Thank you for pointing out the connection to 1/8 btl

Have a nice summer all

Christer