News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Which House Order of the Wendish Crown is Rarer?

Hello All,

Is it correct to say that the House Order of the Wendish Crown Gold or Silver Cross of Merit from Mecklenburg-Schwerin “Per Aspera Ad Astra” was more common than the one from Mecklenburg-Strelitz "Avito Viret Honore".

Does anyone know the approximate award numbers from each Grand Duchy at all? or any articles on their relative rarity?

Many thanks

Edited by Alan

The book by Peter Ohm-Hieronymussen shows the numbers for Strelitz as 56 for the Gold Cross and 71 for the Silver Cross for all years between 1864 and 1918.

Lugvigsen's book only gives the 1914 to 1918 numbers for Schwerin as 23 Gold and 21 Silver with no breakdown by grade for the 50 years prior. However, I think that it is safe to assume that the total for all years would be in the hundreds for Schwerin.

The book by Peter Ohm-Hieronymussen shows the numbers for Strelitz as 56 for the Gold Cross and 71 for the Silver Cross for all years between 1864 and 1918.

Lugvigsen's book only gives the 1914 to 1918 numbers for Schwerin as 23 Gold and 21 Silver with no breakdown by grade for the 50 years prior. However, I think that it is safe to assume that the total for all years would be in the hundreds for Schwerin.

Many thanks Beau for the information

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Beau,

Did Peter Ohm-Hieronymussen book detail the numbers for Strelitz for the period 1914 to 1918 at all? So that I may compare with the Schwerin 23 Gold and 21 Silver for the same period.