News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bronze Military Merit Medal - Friedrich von Stecher

Iver

Dear friends. Here is a BMVM from my collection, thanks to a paper on the bottom of the case is also known the former owner (a few informations below). I was really surprised, when a friend from this forum wrote me, that he is an owner of montenegrian Danilo Order http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/63508-order-of-danilo-friedrich-von-stecher/ that belonged to the same person (found my post on another forum). So here a little info on the officer (informations are most from schematismus and internet, so it is possible some mistakes occured):

Linienschiffskapitän Friedrich von Stecher

Basic Informations:

*1837 (on the internet is 20. november 1839 mentioned)

+befor 1908 (in the same source 12. august 1899)

Career advance – ranks:

**.**.1854/55 - promoted to Marine Cadett (later changed to Seekadet)

**.**.1858/1860 – promoted to Fregattenfähnrich (in 1860 rank abolished)

**.**.1860/1861 - promoted to Linienschiffsfähnrich (later changed to Fregattenleutnant)

23.05.1864 – promoted to Linienschiffsleutnant 1.classe

01..05.1878 – promoted to Korvettenkapitän

01.11.1882 – promoted to Fregattenkapitän

01.05.1885 (rank from 11.6.1885) – promoted to Linienschiffskapitän

Career advance – service:

1878 – Gesammt – Detail – Offizier (1. Officer) on S.M.Casemattschiff “Kaiser Max”

28.08.1884 - 22.4.1885 – Commander S.M.S. (Korvette) “Frundsberg” (trip to east Afrika?)

1887 - "Stellvertreter" of Commander of See Arsenals Commando in Pola

01.02.1887 – pensioned with rank Linienschiffskapitän in Trieste

Orders and decorations:

Military merit Cross with war decoration (MVK mKD) – 27.08.1866 (date not prooved)

Iron Crown Order III. Class (EKO.3) - **.**.18**

Bronze military merit medal („Allerhöchste Zufriedenheit”) - 20.6.1866 (actually awarded after the institution in 1890)

Montenegro – Order of Danilo I. for Independence of Montenegro – 3. Class (commander) - 1883

Mexico – Knights Cross of Order of our lady from Guadalupe – admittance of accepting and wearing with order Nr. 29 from 15.6.1867 for K. u K. Army - personal reports)

Comments:

Till 1871 in schematismus only marine officer named Heinrich Stecher - with exception of year 1855, where is written as Friedrich Stecher.

Married on 20. october 1868 with Emily von Barry (*17.november 1852 Triest)

Children: Friedrich von Stecher (* 24. july 1874 Triest +25.october 1943 Gmunden, Germany Linienschiffsleutenant ??? - not sure!!!)

Anna Alice von Stecher (*13. november 1883 Pola +1. march 1941 Berlin)

Edited by Iver

Awesome info Iver :) thank you for sharing :D and what a great set :)

I was able to find a bit more information about the ship Captain von Stecher commanded,

S.M.S. (Korvette) “Frundsberg"

After its service it was hulked in 1905, it became a mine storage ship during WW1 and was handed over to Yugoslavia in 1920, becoming "Zlarin" her fate is unknown after that.