News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kgl. Bayer. 12. Feldartillerie-Regiment info needed

Any information regarding b.FAR 12 is appreciated, especially at mobilization and the first battles in August 1914.

I know that b.FAR 12 was with the 3. Bavarian Infantry Division throughout the war. 3. bay. Infantrie Division was part of Rupprecht's 6. Armee during the Battle of the Frontiers and the division's campaign credit in the first month of the war:

• 08.08.1914 - 19.08.1914: Grenzschutzgefechte in Lothringen
    • 19.08.1914: Liedersingen
    • 20.08.1914 - 22.08.1914: Schlacht in Lothringen (Schlacht zwischen Metz und den Vogesen)
    • 22.08.1914 - 14.09.1914: Schlacht vor Nancy-Epinal

I am especially interested on detailed information for b.FAR 12 during the Schlacht vor Nancy-Epinal in late August/early September. Specifically, the date of 24 August if it comes up with anything.

I am asking such broad questions, because I have no information other than the above for b.FAR 12 - which is not much.

I know that b.FAR 12's peacetime garrison was Landau. It would be great to know what guns the regiment had...by battery if possible. Really anything would be good to know.

Again, I don't like asking such broad, general questions, but I haven't found much at all on b.FAR 12

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello IG!

I assume, you have the book "Schlachten und Gefechte des Großen Krieges"

If you couldn´t find the 3rd.bav.Inf.Div. ,you can look for the II.bav.AK.,

The III.Abt. and the 7th battery were dissolved in november 7th, 1918. The 8th battery came to the I.Abt. and the 9th battery to the II.Abt.

Demobilization 18.12.1918 in Ansbach

Freikorps: Frei- or Volkswehr-Batterie Zacherl, later Heyl

Reichswehr: 3./light RW-Art.Rgt. 23

I attached a map of the battle of 24.8.1914 (3rd. bav.Inf.Div.) "Blainville-Remenoville", found in "Die Schlacht in Lothringen und in den Vogesen" (Bayerisches Kriegsarchiv)

Edited by The Prussian

Andy, thanks! That map is fantastic! Exactly what I need. From this, I can see the symbols for I./12 b.FAR was the 7.7cm Feldkanone C/96 (FK 96 a/A) and for II./12 b.FAR was the 10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 98/09. I am focusing on 5. Batterie; so, the info and location for II. Abteilung is great.

Nice to see 12. b.FAR's sister unit the 5. b.FAR as well. And the 15cm schweres Feldhaubitze M02 of I./1 b.FussAR. (Of course, the infantry regiment's disposition.)

Is there any text describing any actions to go with the map for 24 August?

Hello IG!

I´ve seen the symbols of the Feldhaubitze too. If that´s right, they must have recieved them after mobilization. In a peacetime battle order from may 1914 all six batteries had just 77mm C/96.

In that book are six pages about the 24.August in general (of bavarian view), and several pages about the 3rd Inf.Div. in that battle.

At www.eurobuch.com you can buy that book. But it costs about 75€...

If you want I can scan those pages to send them to you. I think to present them here, the pictures will be too small to read

Edited by The Prussian

Hello IG!

I´ve seen the symbols of the Feldhaubitze too. If that´s right, they must have recieved them after mobilization. In a peacetime battle order from may 1914 all six batteries had just 77mm C/96.

In that book are six pages about the 24.August in general (of bavarian view), and several pages about the 3rd Inf.Div. in that battle.

At www.eurobuch.com you can buy that book. But it costs about 75€...

If you want I can scan those pages to send them to you. I think to present them here, the pictures will be too small to read

Andy,

What is the source for the 77mm C/96 armament? With that notation it seems they are the "alter Art" models. Usually, a divisional FAR brigade had a 10.5cm leFH Abteilung in addition to the usual 7.7cm Abteilungen. So, it makes sense.

If it's not too much trouble, the pages for the 3. Inf. Div would be great! I will PM my email address. Thanks!

Rick

Hello,

here are the dates of the book "Ruhmeshalle der Alten Armee".

The 12. bavarian Field-Artillerie-Regiment was foundet on 1.10.1901, its base was Landau/Pfalz.

This regiment belong to the 3. bayr. Infantry division during wartime.

Here ist the list of fighting of the 3. ID,

regards Andreas

Hello,

he send greetings to his wife. He became an officer on the 18.3.17 an he hope the officer's papers would be sent to his hometown.

Interesting. I wonder if anyone has info on a Karl Mueller with 12. bFAR in any officer Rangliste.

Hello,

I couldn't find him at ancestry. Müller is a very widespread name, like Smith or Jones.
    There are several Karl ( Carl) Müller listed at the pages of 12. FAR and 12 Reserve FAR.

He was member of a Ersatzbatterie.

Possibly, after becomming officer, he go to another unit.

sorry

Andreas

Hello!

Like Andreas said, he was member of the Ersatz-Abteilung. Maybe he was not in action?

The 2./Ers.Abt./FAR 12 was set-up in Dresden (27.7.1917), and became later Feldhaubitzen-Abteilung 192

Yes, but the above post card was sent from Landau on 20 March 1917.

I think you've confused the Bavarian 12. FAR with the Kgl. Sächs. 1. Feld-Artillerie-Regiment Nr.12, which had its garrison in Dresden.

I'm sure this card is from an Obergefreiter Karl Müller of 4. Batterie, II. Ersatz Abteilung of the Kgl. Bayer. 12. Feldartillerie-Regiment in Landau

Edited by IrishGunner

• 1 year later...

Hello Gents,

According to a local diary, Bay. FAR 12 stayed at rest in my village Vichte. Flanders about June-July 1917. Does anyone has their Regimentsgeschichte please. I would be very grateful if someone tells me what it says about my village.

with kind regards,

Jef

Jef, unfortunately, I do not have the Bay. FAR 12 Regimentsgeschichte.  However, thanks for your information regarding the regiment being in Vichte in the summer of 1917.  Maybe Andy (AKA The Prussian) will add some info.

PS: I Googled your village and found info about Brouwerij Verhaeghe - their website shows some beers I would enjoy tasting!  (Actually drinking a Belgian-style Pale Ale brewed here in the US right now - strangely named with a German name "Verboten"). :cheers:

Not a lot, mates...

I don´t have the regimental history.

The book about the 251 german divisions says:

"On june 5, the 3rd bav. div. began to relieve the 40th div. in the Messines sector. The british attack took place on the 7th during thisb relief. The division lost the village and the summit of Messines. It suffered considerable loss and left 1531 prisoners in the hands of the enemy."

Here the battles of the division in that time:

june, 7: Battle of Wytschaete and Messines

16.7.-8.10.17: Trench battles in Lorraine

Maybe they went back to Vichte after june, 7th. (Messines > Vichte  ~ 40km)

Edited by The Prussian

Irish gunner, Andy,

Thank you for your answer. I have the book about 251 divisions too.....I 'll have to look for the Regimentsgeschichte  I guess. The lady of that factory wrote down  every Regiment which was on leave in her factory. As far as I'm concerned a dangerous activity . Vichte was in the Etappengebied.

With kind regards,

Jef

The "Bayernbuch" says, that most of the regiments of the bav.3.Inf.Div. were destroyed on the 7th.

Since june 8, the rest of the division was transfered to the Briey-sector near Metz. The distance is about 300km...

Before the battle of Wytshaete, the division was near Roubaix, later near Comines-Wervicq.

"Die Bayern im großen Krieg":

"Auch die zusammengeschmolzene Infanterie der b.3.ID verließ am 8.Juni Abends, das 12.b.Feldart.Rgt. einige Tage später die Stellung, um in die gegend von Briey abzufahren."

Shortly: the infantry left the area june, 8 at noon, the 12th artillery a few days later.

Maybe the regiment stopped at the railway station of Vichte and stayed a few days. That could be the period from 8th until around the 11th of june, but NOT in end of june or july!

Here you see, that the regiment was in Goudrecourt from june, 12 until july, 15

http://www.omaha-beach.org/Deutsche-Version/Landau/12.bayFeldArtRegt.html

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian