News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regiments-Erinnerungskreuz / Regimental commemorative cross

Good evening Gentlemen,

As for many unofficial commemorative crosses issued during the Weimar Republik (1919-1934), the so-called "Regiments-Erinnerungskreuz" can be found either with or without swords.

One would usually think that the cross without the swords would normally be attributed to non-combattant troops (medical staff, chaplains, etc.)...

BUT... since I bought the "Katalog der Auszeichnungen des Deutsches Reiches 1871-1945", 3rd completed edition 2012, published by Hüsken, my certainties were slightly shaken.

Pages 125-126, under "Regiments-Erinnerungskreuz", number 02.08.55/5 reads as follows: "ohne Schwerter für Kriegsgefangene", i.e.: (cross) without swords for prisoners of war...! What about the non-combattants? There is NO mention of them whatsoever.

Hüsken also mentions (see number 02.08.55/2) a "Treu der Division" cross. I know that division unit bars do exist, but I have never seen any cross with "Treu der Division" inlay so far.

Could anyone confirm that Hüsken is right (or wrong), that he did not "forget" the non-combattants, or does anyone of you have a plausible explanation about all that ?

Thank you in advance for your expertise!

Jean-Sam.

Hi Jean-Sam,

... Pages 125-126, under "Regiments-Erinnerungskreuz", number 02.08.55/5 reads as follows: "ohne Schwerter für Kriegsgefangene", i.e.: (cross) without swords for prisoners of war...! What about the non-combattants? There is NO mention of them whatsoever. ...

... I don't know and that is the first time I heard about. Maybe the swards are just broken???

Hüsken also mentions (see number 02.08.55/2) a "Treu der Division" cross. I know that division unit bars do exist, but I have never seen any cross with "Treu der Division" inlay so far.

... I know three: "Treue dem Regiment" - "Treue dem Bataillon" - "Treue der Marine" (all with swards).

;) Best regards,

Jens