News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Princely House Order of Hohenzollern - fake?

Hello!

I' ve seen this piece for sale in local collector's shop. It's the Princely House Order of Hohenzollern - 3rd Class Honor Cross I think?

But the Hohenzollern coat of arms is qite strange, istn't it? And the quality is is a bit poor... The diameter is OK - 37mm, material looks like silver.

What is your opinion - fake?

Best regards, Chris

Hi, tkank you for your reply.

I bought this piece yesterday so now I can take more pictures if there would be a need. As I thought, the material is silver, but without any markings, except this small rectangular hollow on the edge - it is showed on one of the pictures above.

Any other opinion on this cross? :)

Hello Chris:

This piece is patterned after an earlier type of this Order. The center pieces are pressed into the frame (same type of manufacture as early RAO 4th pieces). The shield on the obverse is of the early type (the shield has two "lobes" at the bottom). The centers do not appear to be gold however, which is a bit unusual (if I recall correctly). I will vote with Vince on this one, that the piece is possibly period-made by a non-official manufacturer.

Best regards,