News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Railroad lamps

Yes I am.

Someone all ready identified them.

Bonsoir,

Vite fait ce soir, trois lanternes françaises, une belge et une allemande.
    La plus grosse: lanterne de bifurcation des chemins de fer du Nord (France)
    celle du fond à gauche: Lanterne de signal des chemins de fer de l'Etat (France)
    celle du fond à droite: Lanterne de signal des chemins de fer du Nord dite Lantigue (France)
    Celle avec des marques en croix rouge et blanches: lanterne de signal d'aiguille des chemins de fer allemands (allemagne de l'est)
    La grosse de dos: lanterne de locomotive des chemins de fer Belges.
    Meaning;
    the biggest one is northern French railway switch lamp
    back left is a French state railway signal light
    back right is a French noether railway signal light called Lantigue
    The small one with the red and white side is a eastern German signal light
    And the big round one a Belgian engine head light.
    cheers
    |<ris

A field of collecting that is followed all around the World where railroads existed. They are also a close link

to British Police bulls-eye lanterns. Usually oil was the lighting substance, but certainly many carbide ones were in use.

They are often found forgotten in old railway tunnels - so if you live near any - send an aged relative in to look ...............

I hope other members will be able to add to your post. Mervyn

This is indeed an interesting field and as you have mentioned, Kris, tied very closely with the military. I once knew a great fellow who collecting rail road memorabilia from the Canadian rail roads, CPR and CNR and when we would go to antiques shows together he'd purchase lanterns such as yours. You can imagine the tempation on my part to add some to my own collection as well.

Mervyn,

He needn't wait for an old relative, I'd take on the task on, if I were in the area. I'm old, bold and he wouldn't have to attend the funeral. I might not sure I'd share the finds however, provided I survived. ;)

Regards

Brian

Mervyn,

He needn't wait for an old relative, I'd take on the task on, if I were in the area. I'm old, bold and he wouldn't have to attend the funeral. I might not sure I'd share the finds however, provided I survived. ;)

Regards

Brian

Thanks for your appreciation!

Just a tip if you are planning to go into the tunnel; light it when you found it, it might cut the risk's, for a 50 %, down.....;-)

cheers

|<ris