News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Liga für Völkerfreudenschaft (League of Peoples’ Friendship)

Liga für Völkerfreudenschaft (League of Peoples’ Friendship)
    On June 7, 1952 all existing friendship societies in the GDR were placed under an umbrella organization called the Gesellschaft für Kulturellen Verbindung mit dem Ausland (Society for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries). Examples of some of the societies that were brought under the Society were “The Society for Soviet-German Friendship”,(founded in 1948) and “The Helmut von Gerlach Society for Cultural, Economic and Political Relations with the new Poland”. From it emerged the League for Peoples' Friendship on December 15, 1961. In 1986 there were 48 Friendship Societies in the League. Its task was to participate in the establishment and maintenance of international relations with the DDR.
    The League produced a few badges and awards. First up is the membership badge and the League Journal.

My interested started in the League after I purchased one of their cased awards with its accompanying document. The Ehrennadel Für Verdienste um die Freudenschaft der Völker in silver. The award comes in silver and gold grades. Bartel #3683 and #3684 - 23 mm in diametre(1965-1967) bronze.

Edited by Gordon Craig

The other award given out by the League was the Medaille für Verdienste um die Freudenschaft der Völker. This award came in one class only. It was made of bronze and was gold coloured. Bartel #3682 - awarded from 1974 to 1989. The wording on the back of both the Ehrennadel and the Medaille was the same. The pictures of the back of these wards comes from the DHM in Berlin.

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 2 months later...

Thanks Gordon for show this awards! did not know them.

if I am correct, the silver ehrennadel was issued in two versions? silver with blue enamel as the sample at the right and also in just silver finish like the one awarded with the document? is the same for the gold grade?

thanks

Humberto