News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stamps Anyone

Except for Medals and Militaria, I love those small pieces of paper that travel the world. In most cases stamps capture bits of history. My main collecting focus with regard to stamps include the British Colonies and countries and territories that no longer exist in name for example Aden, Labuan and Van Diemansland etc. Stamps commemorating and or dealing with wars is a big favourite. Well that is my penny's worth. Regards Norman

I am not into them as such (I pick up the odd TR era stuff) but there is a local Bi-annual auction localy, I can forward you the details if you wish as you can bid by post, computer or phone? It is not high end stuff just a group of local enthusist.

Jock :)

I used to enjoy collecting stamps in my youth. I had two stamp albums which covered up till 1930 and in those days if stamps were not British or Commonwealth they tended to end up in the dealers penny box. I found the post WWI issues of ephemeral territories such as Memel, Ingermanland and Fiume especially interesting also the KuK Feldpost issues were fun.

Paul

I am not into them as such (I pick up the odd TR era stuff) but there is a local Bi-annual auction localy, I can forward you the details if you wish as you can bid by post, computer or phone? It is not high end stuff just a group of local enthusist.

Jock :)

Thanks Jock. Always worth the while to have a look. Never know what is out there up for grabs.

Regards

Norman :)

Norman - nice to see you back - I hope everything is OK ? Stamps have never really featured on the Forum - however,

this is certainly the right forum for some posts. I hope you will put on some of your collection . Mervyn

Hi Mervyn.

All is well thank you my friend. Agreed that some posts can be accommodated although I can keep you busy with a forum on military related stamps for quite a long time. Just thinking about the Mafikeng Siege, the Turkish Issues after Gallipoli etc.

From time to time I'll post something interesting for others to share.

Kind regards

Norman :D

Norman - when you have the time, please do so. We can always learn from others expertise.

When I first opened the shop - 25 years ago, we had endless stamp albums being brought in for

valuation and usually hoping to sell. They usually dated from the 20's and 30's and in the absence

of TV, computers and cell phones the families had obviously encouraged their children to collect.

I think this is why the older generation have a greater general knowledge then modern youngsters -

or, am I wrong to think this - opinions please ?

The other thing that Norman will probably remember, is that during the years of the old Govt. (pre1994)

business people who needed to travel would carry valuable stamps in their wallets. With travel money

being very limited, it was a way to carry a form of money - without the Customs really knowing what it was.

Even today, I still know people who carry stamps worth up to 10,000 pounds US$16,000. Mervyn

ps. They also carried medals and officers' silver badges. All easily sold overseas.

• 1 month later...

I have bought a collection of stamps - fills a milk crate. These are not my field , however, the collection goes back preWW2

and there are some interesting German varieties. Also, several countries have the overprinting to show German Occupation.

The British ones have a number of Victoria Heads and also what look like like Penny Blacks - however, they sayy Postage and Revenue ?

Each section runs into many pages - I will post a few from the Uk and from Belgium. Perhaps someone can tell us a little about

them - and helpfully, an approx. value. Mervyn

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-6209-0-62920000-1416393918.jpgclick

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2014/post-6209-0-69327600-1416394335.jpgclick

I will post a few from the Uk and from Belgium. Perhaps someone can tell us a little about

them - and helpfully, an approx. value. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn

The second image of UK stamps contain firstly (first six stamps on top) the Definitive series of King Edward VIII issued on 01 Sep 1936. The remainder of the stamps are those of King George VI issued in 1937. This definitive issue was in use until 1947 when a new definitive issue was introduced. As far as value is concerned, they aren't worth much as they are still fairly common, maybe max ZAR40.00 for the lot on the second UK image. They are all of low denomination.

As far as the Queen Victoria stamps are concerned I will have to dig a bit deeper. There might be some value. Among them I spotted one or two "penny reds" which sell from cheap to quite expensive depending on the plate it comes from. Another thing is also always condition, which plays avery major role in terms of value.

On value I would rather you get it appraised by an expert as the stamp market is very volatile. I can put you in touch with just such a person if you require.

Will see what I can dig up on the other stamps.

Regards

Norman

Thankyou Norman. Despite the shear size of the collection , a lot are just bags of stamps cut from envelopes

and ready for mounting. The albums are very extensive and places like South Africa and Australia, Britain and Germany

are very well covered. There are also a lot of First Day covers going back to WW2.

Please let me know if there are any countries you would like me to show ? Mervyn