News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please help to ID the unit from the shoulder strap cypher

Dear gentlemen, could you please let me know what unit does that cypher ("AA") stand for? I failed to find an answer in several reference books, including Thomas and David Sutter's "German Army Shoulder Straps and Boards 1933-1945" I bought recently.

Many thanks in advance!

Hello.

This is only a guess and not supported by anything but AA 30 would stand for Aufklaerungs Abteilung 30 ( recon. bataillon 30) or the recon unit of the 30.Inf.Division. Here expressed not by a shoulderstrap with the correct cypher already worked in and the numeral 30 but with the cypher and number on the slipon.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Thanks for your reply, Bernhard! I did think about Aufklaerungs Abteilung also, but I had no info supporting that version. The photo itself is from my collection, but I saw another one posted somewhere else. The latter showed an Obergefreiter wearing shoulder straps with that mysterious "AA" cypher + different number, 256 I suppose. Note shoulder straps with embroidered unit designator, not slip-tabs!

Do you have any idea why that cypher isn't mentioned anywhere, at least in well-known reference books?

As I told before, the second photo isn't mine, I just used a scan to show another type of the same cypher, so I'm not able to scan it in a better resolution. The photo seems to be a bit dark at the bottom, but I assume that Obergefreiter wore simple DRL badge.

Uwe,

I struggle with Lexicon der Wehrmacht at times but there is a one liner at the end of the unit history of Reiter Regt 13 that states that 2nd Squadron was attached to 30 Div for the occupation of the Sudetenland and then returned to barracks by Oct 38 or have I completely misunderstood it. Further down it states that 2nd Squadron came from 1st (coy/Sqn)? AA 30 or was it always Squadrons within the Cav. My point being, could it have been a short lived small unit at that time and date. The other thing I notice is that he wears the early 'pointy' shoulder boards with a slip on? Again I don't know, just throwing in my '2 bob'. Edit: the 2 on the Button seems to fit?

Jock :)

Edited by Jock Auld

Hello readers.

The ref. book by Angolia and Schlicht "Uniforms and Traditions of the German Army 1933 - 1945 " gives the letter A plus the bataillon number on the shoulder straps throughout the war years for divisional recon.bataillons. That publication appears based on official relevant German Army publications and is giving very detailed information with souces. Therefore the pictured AA 30 could well be unit based but not officially sanctioned slipon.

As to # 8 by Jock. The information Jock gives is to the point because upon mobilisation certain mounted formations detailed troops to be part of recon. bataillons to revert to their regiments when the deployment ended.

Bernhard H. Holst

I doubt so, Andreas. I agree with Bernhardt that it might be semi-official, or rather unofficial unit designator. On the other hand, that version seems to be a bit shaky as we have at least two photographic evidences related to different units, i.e. 30 and 256. If it were invention of batallion's tailor, it would be in either "30" or "256" unit only. But that cypher was worn in both units...

Another guess:

Aufklärungs-Abteilung 256

Set up august,26, 1939. At March,10, 1942, integrated into Panzerjäger- und Aufklärungs-Abteilung 256

Divisions-Bataillon 256

Set-up april, 21, 1943 from parts of Panzerjäger- und Aufklärungs-Abteilung 256 with two Grenadier-companies and a heavy squadron. july,26., 1943 renamed in Divisions-Füsilier-Bataillon (A.A.) 256

Tessin writes, the Regiment did recieve "Kavallerie-Tradition". I don´t know exatly what that means.

There also was a Div.Füs.Abtl.30. Since november 3, 1943, ist was called Div.Füs.Abtl.30 (A.A.), again with "Kavallerie-Tradition"