News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Air Force Debuts New Service Medal

IrishGunner

The Air Force has released nomination criteria for the new Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal.

Service members may be awarded the new medal if they were assigned, deployed or mobilized to a wing, center or below in support of the nuclear enterprise for 120 consecutive days or 179 nonconsecutive days. Eligibility for the medal is retroactive to Dec. 27, 1991. Nominations for currently serving Airmen will be processed through their respective chain of command. Retired or separated Airmen and family members of deceased Airmen can submit a request submitted to the Air Force Personnel Center recognition section for validation.

Let the discussion begin....

One official release about this medal referred to it as an incentive. If anyone is going to strive harder in his/her job in the nuclear field for this thing, they're too dumb to be there in the first place. The Combat Readiness Medal was originally a decoration for just this kind of service, but it quickly deteriorated to a "time served" award. This one will be the same in short order. The time will soon come when the absence of this award after a tour will be a black mark on your career. So, join the nuclear force -- you can get bad jobs, in bad locations, with bad OERs, but we might give you a 30-cent medal just before we pass you over for promotion.

Just once I'd like to see a thoughtful and reality-based response to a genuine problem. But that requires thought and being in touch with reality -- so not likely.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I know of an AF guy who received a purple heart for a TEMPORARY partial hearing loss at Khobar towers. I was USAF, too, btw....

What stinks about that is I had a SSGT that had permanent hearing loss and situational vertigo from Khobar and could get nothing for it. Disability, PH, hardy hand shake....nothing

What stinks about that is I had a SSGT that had permanent hearing loss and situational vertigo from Khobar and could get nothing for it. Disability, PH, hardy hand shake....nothing

Did he apply for disability? Sounds like he needs to contact a Veteran's Service Officer (VSO) at either the American Legion or VFW (he doesn't need to be a member); they can guide him through the claims process. I am certain he'll get service connected disability for the hearing loss at least. If you have questions PM me.

Did he apply for disability? Sounds like he needs to contact a Veteran's Service Officer (VSO) at either the American Legion or VFW (he doesn't need to be a member); they can guide him through the claims process. I am certain he'll get service connected disability for the hearing loss at least. If you have questions PM me.

i agree. I used to work as a Senators aide and used to process claims like this all the time. If heres any documentation of his hearing loss, he'd be ok.