News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New eBook on Soviet Orders and Medals (or, a new version of an old book!)

Hopefully no one will mind me flogging this a little on the forum here, but I think it would get lost in the for sale area and besides, it's not really something that I'm selling, per se (Amazon is!)

Back in 2007, I self-published the book "No Deed Forgotten, Soviet Military Awards and Decorations: The Story Behind the Honor". It was basically a compilation of citations that I had researched for items in my collection as well as some of the full stories I wrote about several of my groups. Unfortunately, it was cost prohibitive to produce a version with photos (I did, and it ran about $85) so it was created entirely without images. Regardless, it still sold around 400 copies, which I thought was absolutely great (a book of citations isn't necessarily going to make the NYT best seller list!!) :whistle:

Anyway, I finally met up with the 20th century and started reading eBooks via the Kindle app for my iPad. I liked it so much I bought a Kindle to take with me to Russia on my trip and my wife and kids all have them as well. So the thought came to me: why not go and make an eBook version of my book, but this time include images??? Especially since I plan on taking down my old website (www.aefuniforms.com) since my host jacked my monthly prices AGAIN, so I'm going to give it a proper burial once my subscription with them is up. So I did a bit of a conversion of my book, added a couple hundred images that I also had on my website, and got it published. I wanted to keep the price low and affordable, so I priced it on Amazon for a whopping $4.99.

Granted, some of the images are 20+ years old (I've been collecting Soviet medals for a while!) and I could probably dedicate another couple months to another full style edit of the book (I spent about seven months compiling it in 2006) but for the price...I don't think anyone will complain. :D

There are two buying options...one via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/No-Deed-Forgotten-Military-Decorations-ebook/dp/B00P31LGDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415029682

And one via my new website (still through Amazon, but my website gets a part of the proceeds, and so that's really cool...) http://www.warconvoys.com/#!recommended-reading/cdfs

Thanks for reading!

Dave

I got my copy as soon as I was done reading. Back in 2007 I wanted one but it never resulted in a book. Now I got a better version for less money. I guess good things comes to those who wait. ;)

Dave would it be OK if I translated one citation for my blog? It's in Swedish and all the texts are about phaleristics. I will include a link to amazon, not sure it will do much for sales though... My readers are few but faitful.

/Kim

I got my copy as soon as I was done reading. Back in 2007 I wanted one but it never resulted in a book. Now I got a better version for less money. I guess good things comes to those who wait. ;)

Dave would it be OK if I translated one citation for my blog? It's in Swedish and all the texts are about phaleristics. I will include a link to amazon, not sure it will do much for sales though... My readers are few but faitful.

/Kim

Kim:

By all means! Go for it!

Dave

Great news, dear Dave :-)

I have absolutly no experience with eBooks or Kindle :-(

Is it possible to read the illustrated version of your fantastic book on a normal laptop?

Kind regards

Christian

Christian:

Yes, they have a kindle download for the desktop and laptop. You can download the software here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=klp_f_win

I typically used my iPad prior to buying my Kindle, and it works fine as well.

Thanks!

Dave

• 4 months later...