News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of St. Peter and Paul of the Church of Antiochia

Dragomir

Dragomir,

I tried to buy this or one like it in 2010 but it had already been sold. Off the top of my head and as the heading notes it is a breast star of the Order of Saints Peter and Paul of Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch. The names Peter, Paul and Antioch are in the inscription. I need to find my notes on this to make sure.

Kind regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Owain,

Thank you so much for the information. I was trying to read the inscription, but my Arabic is less than meager. There are several types of this star, but the unsolved problem for me is the period in which this type of insignia was awarded, because more standard type has obverse of the Badge of the Order superimposed upon the star.

Best to you,

Dragomir

Dragomir,

It appears to read,

Top, "Order of St John of Damascus"

Bottom, "Patriarchate of Antioch and Whole (not 'near') East"

......but I'll check with my Arab colleagues tomorrow - I'll also confirm the star inscription.

Kind regards,

Owain

P.S. The purported head of John the Baptist is held in a shrine in the Ummayed Mosque in Damascus - he is honoured as a prophet in Islam

Edited by oamotme

Dragomir,

I have amended the St. John Order translation - see above.

The script on the star is not wholly legible, but something along the lines of,

"The Great Saints, Worthy Messengers, Peter and Paul, Founders of the Antioch Church"

The words 'worthy' and 'church' may need amending - I did have a proper translation but have misplaced it - if I find it I'll confirm/amend this translation.

Kind regards,

Owain

Dragomir,

See image below of an award of the Golden Medal of St Peter and Paul of the Patriarchate of Antioch and All East made in 2001 to Mahmoud Darwish, the Palestinian poet. Unfortunately this is the highest definition I can get and I cannot read the text of the certificate.

http://darwishfoundation.org/ephotogallery.php?id=21

Kind regards,

Owain

Owain,

Thank you so much again.
    I was aware of this Medal, and exactly from the content of the link that you suggested. It is the only place (and only occasion) that this Medal is mentioned. Apparently the motive upon the rayed surface of the Medal is the Coat of Arms of the Patriarchate surrounded from the lower side with a semi-wreath. I suppose that it was awarded in single class.
    Yours,
    Dragomir
    cleardot.gif

Something else????? Thanks to searching in Arabic and Google Translate - beware of errors, but......

"His Holiness Patriarch imitate His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, the Grand Cross of St. Ignatius of Antioch Mar

A token of love and loyalty and honor, bestowed upon His Holiness Patriarch holy Moran Mor Ignatius Zakka I was total beatitude, His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, the holy and the Grand Cross of St. St. Ignatius of Antioch, which is the highest honor in the Syriac Orthodox Church, has held the ceremony after he delivered His Holiness Patriarch Speaking at the official ceremony in the presence of mass tens of thousands of Coptic worshippers"

Sadly the definition of the image is not good.

Regards,

Owain

This is a most interesting document. I have located so far the scant information about two orders of this particular prae-Chacedon church> Order of St. Ignatius the Theophoros, and Order of St. Ephraim the Syrian. The first, apparently, has three classes, while the other one has two! Or I might be wrong.

But, there is a photo which puzzles me to no end. Perhaps someone has an idea what the diginfied Hierarch (Saint Ignatius Elias III)is wearing?

Dragomir

• 3 weeks later...