News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraq medal x2?

Ladies/Gents,

Am curious to know whether this medal group is genuine or not? Is it possible to have qualified for both of these Iraq medals. I assume that the recipient must have been in the military for one and a civilian for the other? Is this possible or would qualification for the first mean exclusion from qualifying for the second?

The last medal looks too glossy to be not a replica. I agree with the other guys. I know a few Aussies who served a tour or two, left the ADF and went back to Iraq as private security. I'm not sure they would qualify for medals from the ADF for doing private security work but maybe they could get such recognition if they were doing personal protection for high ranking persons such as Iraqi Government officials but you'd think that recognition would come from the Iraqi Government not from the UK - here they wouldn't be allowed to wear such medals with their official ones. Does the UK Embassy in Iraq or Afghanistan etc employ private security?

Greg.

Not an ´official´ medal group as they are minis.

The oder of wear for NATO, UN medals differs in the UK from the U.S. These medals have equal status to British medals . As such, they are worn in date-order of award.

Many thanks for all your replies guys.

I am assuming that the Iraq Campaign medal was awarded for a tour with HM Armed Forces and the other medal is for service as a UK Police Officer perhaps? As the two would be separate entities then maybe two medals could be worn? This does appear to be a miniature set, should the full size group exist then I assume the second Iraq medal would be named? But in this example could both medals be worn? I suppose technically as there for separate roles, you could in fact wear both?

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Interesting theory - seems logical but goes against that most sacred of cows 'tradition'. Of course, the old rules didn't seem to cover such things: one was either and most commonly a soldier OR one was a civilian and had one's medals issued to one or the other by one or the other sets of rules. Yes, a look at the full size set would be very instructive.

This appears to be another example (again miniatures), South Atlantic Medal and Iraq Reconstruction Medal? This would certainly suggest military and then civilian service? Not convinced the ISAF NATO medal would be awarded to a civilian though?

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 2 months later...

yes they can be worn together, and as previously stated the Nato medals are worn in date order of issue.

It depends if he was a contractor with nato, if he was then he would be issued the ISAF medal, as a civilian he ca wear this medal, if still serving then it cannot be worn.

regards

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...