News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Distinguished Flying Medal Group ***** RECOMMENDED BY FORUM ADMIN.

Hopefully this is going to be interesting and you can help with a bit of research.

We have a fairly regular 'show and tell' around the office. There's a fair bit of experience given that most have served their time in various units and quite a few interesting bits and bobs appear.

Here's one that appeared this week

I've still got a couple of items to photo - the Bomber Command clasp and his RAF transport command ID badge. And then there's his two volumes of log books to read through.

The group is to the father of a work colleague (I also have his Grandfather's WW1 medals which I'll get on another thread) - they are to 574021 Flight Engineer David Arthur Lawes.

He served in various sqns throughout WW2 and then on the Berlin airlifts.

I'd like to get some info to pass back as its another story of wishing that he'd discussed his father's service while he was still here. As I wished I had done.

All help would be appreciated.

A rare medal and with the Air Crew Europe a valuable Bar. The 1stWW are worth more as they only issued about 25 - they can sell for over 5000 pounds.

Get as much info. as you can and then with one I have for WW1 - with a few problems - we can make this a good post. I will

wait for you to put on your info. first. Mervyn

Better photos with bomber command clasp and RAF transport command ID badge.

The edge of the DFM is inscribed 574021 F/SGT D.A. LAWES R.A.F. and the long service is inscribed M.ENG D.A. LAWES (574021) R.A.F

Again, any further copies of info from websites/books would be greatly appreciated. The medals etc are going back this week.

Thanks in advance Gents.

I've also got a couple of log books and bits that I'll start to scan and get on here.

Edited by Spasm

Here's the bomber command award paper and the entry in the London Gazette of the DFM award

Isn't the Gazette website horrible to search (it was easier to use google to find him)

Ah, that'll be the National Archives then. Mumble mumble. Been there, found a combat report by him but no recommendation for the DFM. Probably me as I find it a difficult site to search.

Steve - just to give you a guide to prices - courtesy of the Medal Yearbook - the 1918 - 1930 issue - a total of 105 , is

worth , as a Group, between 4500 and 6500 Pounds ($9000-10500). The ones issued between 1938 and 1949 are worth

as a Group - a total of 6500 - between 2000 and 2500 pounds ($3200 - 4000). These may well have varied since my last volume.

However, it shows that your friend needs insurance.

(The Medal Yearbook is a valuable aid to any medal collector.

To purchase one I will give their email address. Contact them

first for current price and post. Please mention GMIC.)

This is to help overseas members.

Medal Yearbook

Token Publishing Ltd.

email : info@tokenpublishing.com

web: www.tokenpublishing.com

The medal Year book is definitely useful, however one should use it very much as a rough guide, in some areas the prices are too high, in others too low. For example I would suggest, based on current auction prices, that it is a bit optimistic on most WWII gallantry (obviously exceptional awards, such as Arnhem &C will make somewhat more) as quite a lot is appearing on the market (very much like WWI in the 70's and 80's due to anno domini). On the other hand I would be ecstatic with delight if I could buy some of the early and mid Victorian campaign medals to Indian recipients at the prices listed, unfortunately when such pieces do appear in auction I generally have to pay considerably more. Given these points it is certainly, along with the Spink publication "British Battles and Medals" a must have book for all collectors of British medals, but don't be too worried if you can get hold of copy that's a few years old It will still be very useful.

Paul

Perhaps Public Records Office?

What a nice group with the log books and all. It is interesting for me that he visited localy, Hannover, Braunchwieg and the rocket site at Pienmunde. Great stuff!

Jock :)

Hello:

I liked Jock's term of the recipient having "visited locally". But Jock did not mention Hamburg during the devastating air attacks of July, 1943 and farther away Kassel also in 1943. Having been personnally only somewhat on the sidelines of the opposing side during the night raids conducted by the RAF except some fighter bomber doings towards the end of the war, we were quite aware of the air war day and night..

I was able to visit Peenemuende shortly after the two Germanies became one. Of note was the description of the wartime ability to have the smokestacks of plants in operation wartime, evicting nearly smokeless exhaust.for camouflage purposes of course, not environmental concern.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Bernhard,

I think Hamburg and certainly Dresden are the two results folk don't like to talk about too much on our side of the fence. Saying that the aircrew only carried out their sorties as directed, they most definately didn't choose the strategy or the target. I posted on here a while back a Hannover newspapers response to some air attacks where a family lost some members. I can't find the paperwork as it is boxed and I can't find the thread to see if the sorties coinside with the dates. Saying that Hannover must have had many visits from the allied airforces.

Paul - the WW1 group (his Grandfathers) are here

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/64442-medal-group-research/

Mervyn and all, thanks very much, I'll be passing all the medals back to him tomorrow and I'll pass on the information

Keep coming up with info though, if you can, I see him most weeks and he'll be most grateful for anything you may come across. I'll also insist that he joins so you can all say hello yourselves.

Cheers Gents

I have 10848 William W. Skinners Lincoln regiment MIC card printed off, served in France from 14 July 1915. He was posted to Class Z as he was agreed to serve during the duration which meant that in the event of Germany not honouring the armistice he could be recalled, class Z was abolished in 1920.

If you want me t0oe-mail you a copy please PM me, that's really all you can find out about him.

Paul

Gentlemen, I am very pleased and humbled by your interest in my father's medals and RAF experience during WW2. As already discussed after the end of WW2, my father flew York aircraft from Wunsdorf to Berlin during the Berlin Airlift, often flying more than 2 missions a day. In total he flew 221 sorties into Berlin. After that he joined Transport Command, flying Hastings all over the world. As young children, my sister & I called him 'the man in the suitcase' as we often only saw him for a few hours before he flew off again!

He finally completed his flying career with 42 Squadron RAF St. Mawgan with Coastal Command, although he flew a few flights in Nimrods before he finally retired.

I look forward to any other information etc...that my father's medals have generated & yes, I will ensure that I insure them!

Pathfinder's Son

Steve

Welcome to the forum. Lots to see and enjoy.

Ha, a new member - that's my forum bonus sorted just in time for Christmas (Mervyn, send the cheque to the usual place).

Paul (thanks Geezer) has sent me your Grandfather's medal card so I'll post it on that thread.

Edited by Spasm

Guys,

I may have come across a bit too jovial about the local interest. I can be a bit too keen at times. None of us were there, except Bernhard and I may have been a bit unsensative or flipant in my post. That was not the intension it is just that so many aircrew on both sides suffered a lot as did the population at large. It is a subject that I always find moving as we have localy many downed air crew that are buried together and I think it is a nice touch that the headstones are placed together as a crew compaired to the others that are interned singley. I am pleased this Crewman lived through the war and the cold war.

Best Regards

Edited by Jock Auld