News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reichsarchiv unit abbreviations & units in Bapaume Aug. 1918

Hello,
    Can anyone help me out with some unit abbreviations and which German units were fighting the 3rd NZRB in the area of Bapaume, Aug. 1918?
    I have the medals for a Kiwi killed 26/8/18, probably during the attack on Bapaume and according to the Reichsarchiv map (attached) the NZ Division was, as far as I understand, up against the left flank of the 17th army, XIV reserve division. If this is correct, is there a way of finding out which unit or units were in the area defending the west and south west of Bapaume? RIR 76 perhaps?
    I’ve also come across another map, a British one, showing XX 4 Bav. (4th Bavarian Div.?) in the Achiet le Grand area and XX 183 (183 Inf. Div.?) at Loupart Wood which I believe was taken by the Kiwis or at least the 3rd NZRB.
    Any info will be much appreciated
    Tony

Hello!

Latin numbers (XIV) are always corps. So we have the XIV. Res.Korps with the 18th Res.Div.

The battel was caled "The battle of Monchy-Bapaume" (21.8.-2.9.1918)

The problem is: The 18th Res.Div. was not involved in that battle...

I have checked the map of the Reichsarchiv vol.14. (the map from 9.-15.august 1918)

17.Army:

XIV.Army corps with:

183.ID west of Puisieux

16.Res.Div. west of Grandcourt

3.Marine Div. near Ovillers

233.ID north of Albert

From which volume did you take your map?

Edited by The Prussian

Hello!

Latin numbers (XIV) are always corps. So we have the XIV. Res.Korps with the 18th Res.Div.

The battel was caled "The battle of Monchy-Bapaume" (21.8.-2.9.1918)

The problem is: The 18th Res.Div. was not involved in that battle...

I have checked the map of the Reichsarchiv vol.14. (the map from 9.-15.august 1918)

17.Army:

XIV.Army corps with:

183.ID west of Puisieux

16.Res.Div. west of Grandcourt

3.Marine Div. near Ovillers

233.ID north of Albert

From which volume did you take your map?

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, I got the map from vol. 14, this link should take you to the maps http://digi.landesbibliothek.at/viewer/image/AC03617635/42/LOG_0042/

A British map is attached.

battle-of-bapaume.pdf

Ah, ok.But the map shows the battles until november!

The 18.Res.Div. was participated in:

5.8.-6.9. Ypern-La Bassée (6th army)

3.9.-26.9. Siegfriedfront (17th army)

8.9.-8.10. Cambrai-St.Quentin (17th army)

9.10.-23.10. Hermannstallung (17th army)

23.10.-4.11. Hermannstellung (2nd army)

5.-11.11. Antwerpen-Maas (2nd army)

So the map shows for the 18th division the time of 8.9.-8.10.

Ah right.

Take a look at the Brit map for the same area, it shows the 183 Div. and 4 Bavarian Div. either side of the New Zealand Division's advance. Were either of those German divisions in the area as suggested by the map?

I have an ordre of battle for the Battle of Monchy-Bapaume

The 183rd ID (only fighting troops)

33.Res.Inf.Brig.(Inf.Rgt.184 ; Inf.Rgt.418 ; Res.Rgt.440), 4./Hus.Rgt.10, Arko 183 (Feldart.Rgt.183 and Fußart.Btl.150)

4.bav.Inf.Div. (only fighting troops)

7.bav.Inf.Brig. (5.bav. and 9.bav.Inf.Rgt, bav.Res.Rgt.5), 5./3.bav.Chev.Rgt., Inf.Gesch.Bttr.33, bav.Arko 4 (2.bav.Feldart.Rgt. and II./4.bav.Fußart.Rgt.)

Edited by The Prussian

Sory, that i couldn´t help better, but the german recordings started i 1914 on regimental level, and ended in 1918 on army-corps level. The only chance would be to check the regimental histories.

Maybe this one could help you:

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-NZRi-t1-body-d14-d4.html

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_bapaumeII.html

Edited by The Prussian

Andy mate you've helped loads.

It's the C Coy position which is of interest, they were SW of Bapaume so it'll be troops of the German 183rd ID they were fighting against. I probably have books with trench maps somewhere but still packed in boxes.

The Bavarians were at Bapaume, but I thinbkj they were north of the town. I couldn´t find furhter infos, b ut because of the maps I aasume the 183rd ID could be "your" unit.

33.Res.Inf.Brig.(Inf.Rgt.184 ; Inf.Rgt.418 ; Res.Rgt.440), 4./Hus.Rgt.10, Arko 183 (Feldart.Rgt.183 and Fußart.Btl.150)